Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything that goes bang, Stihl Chainsaws
    Crow Hunting

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

When you guys speak of this.

Are you talking about threading Org. barrels to receiver?

Or custom (aftermarket) barrels?

If Org. barrels, is the breech end cut and barrel set back?

I'm talk more about 581S, 541T & 540XR

Thanks,
Gary

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

When you guys speak of this.

Are you talking about threading Org. barrels to receiver?

Or custom (aftermarket) barrels?

If Org. barrels, is the breech end cut and barrel set back?

I'm talk more about 581S, 541T & 540XR

Thanks,
Gary

Gary-
I believe they have been done both ways as far as the barrels go. Danny(sheffieldshooter)has had his 541T done and will be able to answer your questions better than me and I'm sure he'll pick up on this thread quickly. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

Both factory and aftermarket barrels are being done this way. I had my 541-X threaded, barrel set back (along with other work) and rechambered by Brian Voelker. I never shot mine before it was done, so I have no idea if or how much it might have helped, but I can't believe it hurt. I got the impression Danny did not think his helped that much. I do think mine is very particular about ammo, but many .22 rimfires are picky eaters, and it may have been that way before it was re-worked.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info Guys!

Gary

#5 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I had Voelker thread my original barrel (541-THB) and receiver. He set back the barrel and cut a match chamber. I had the muzzle re-crowned as well. Along with glass and pillar bedding, the installation of a Rem 700 style recoil lug ahead of the receiver, a bolt clean up, and a trigger job (13 0zs), the rifle got the works. I must admit that I was hoping for a quarter incher at 50 yards and in fact have more of a half incher. But the rifle is extremely stable now and holds zero like the North Pole. It has become my favorite offhand silhouette rifle for the T-Class of our 50/25 Match. It is one of the easiest of my repeating .22 sporters to single load. So, I leave the plastic magazines at home.

Danny

#6 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

I bought a new 541T in 1990. Off a bench it will keep Bulk
Fed Auto match in a 5/8 to 3/4 inch 10 shot group at 50yds.
I would like for it to shoot better, but it's good enough
for head shots on bushy tails.

(Thinking out loud now)
I have a 581S coming (tomorrow) I have an 540XR trigger I can swap out.
Was thinking about have'n the barrel cut down to 18" to make it a little
more handy. My wife and I have a farm and I just can't make my self
haul the 541 around on the ATV. What it boils down to is I want a handy
little 22. That I'm not afraid to skin up a little, but I want one that
if I miss a shot with in reason. I know it was my fault.

Thanks Again,
Gary

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

Not quite sure what you are expecting from the 541-T with bulk ammo, but that's not bad. Most people shooting tighter 10 shot groups are using better, more consistant ammunition.
As for the 581-S, I would try it before cutting the barrel back... you are always taking a chance cutting the barrel. You may hurt the accuracy, help it or not change it significantly... you never know. Someone like Voelker would "slug" the barrel and cut it and re-crown where the bore is tight, not cut just to have a certain length. If you are after a rough it "pickup rifle" pin-point accuracy may not be your primary concern and it wouldn't make much difference. The 540-XR trigger would be a nice addition, but again kind of a waste on one you are using the way you intend... why put a target rifle trigger on one that will be bouncing around on an ATV.

Patrick Henry

#8 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:59 AM

Many box stock 581s are as accurate as any 541-T (not 541-S) and Carl's advice is sound. Shoot the 581 and if it is accurate, if so, don't do anything to it. If you lop the barrel off you may hurt the accuracy. It seems a shame to cut up a solid 581 with the premium they command these days. Keep it as is and buy a little CZ Scout for a ranch rifle - strong - accurate - handy.

#9 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

Sorry, I switched gears on you guys. I ask a few question

#10 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

[quote name='Trigger-Time' date='26 February 2010 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1267188881' post='33734']
On the 581S, yes if it shoots well I will be afraid to cut down the barrel. I guess I could put
the 540XR trigger on the 541T and the 541T trigger on the 581. The 541T trigger is good but
the 540XR trigger is better

Patrick Henry

#11 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

You should gain on both rifles by that trigger switch, but note the pivot point and trigger location will change with the XR trigger... it will be farther forward in the trigger guard, if that will not bother you.

I did not know that.

About how much farther forward?

540 trigger to 541, Will it fit right in with out removing any wood?

Gary

#12 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

I did not know that.

About how much farther forward?

540 trigger to 541, Will it fit right in with out removing any wood?

Gary

Without taking a barreled action out of a stock, I can only guess by laying one on the outside of the stock. It appears to be between 3/8 and 1/2" farther forward on the 540X/XR trigger. I don't think you would need to remove any wood or metal from the stock or "floorplate". The 540X/XR trigger gains leverage and is one of the reasons it is lighter than the triggers made for the sporter stocks of the 541/580 rifles. The 540 X/XR trigger will still be located to the rear of center in the trigger guard. I have a 540-X trigger I plan to send, or more likely take to Voelker the next time I "go up home". (Funny when you have lived away from the place you were raised for 45+ years, it's still home Posted Image .)
To give you a little perspective, push the safety OFF (forward) on the X trigger assembly and look at the location of the trigger. I will be directly under the front of the safety lever instead of under the back of it like your 541-T or 581-S will be.

Patrick Henry

#13 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Without taking an barreled action out of a rifle, I can only guess by laying one on the outside of the stock. It appears to be between 3/8 and 1/2" farther forward on the 540X/XR trigger. I don't think you would need to remove any wood or metal from the stock or "floorplate". The 540X/XR trigger gains leverage and is one of the reasons it is lighter than the triggers made for the sporter stocks of the 541/580 rifles. The 540 X/XR trigger will still be located to the rear of center in the trigger guard. I have a 540-X trigger I plan to send, or more likely take to Voelker the next time I "go up home". (Funny when you have lived away from the place you were raised for 45+ years, it's still home Posted Image .)
To give you a little perspective, push the safety OFF (forward) on the X trigger assembly and look at the location of the trigger. I will be directly under the front of the safety lever instead of under the back of it like your 541-T or 581-S will be.

I will check it when I get home from work.

I'm off work in 1.5 hours, hope the 581 has made it by then. :rolleyes:
UPS should be at the house later also with 4 bricks of sub-sonic ammo.
Man that stuff is quite out of 24" barrel.

Thanks,
Gary

Edited by Trigger-Time, 26 February 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#14 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I guess I did not explain the "gains leverage" comment... what I meant was due to the location of the pivot pin in the trigger housing and the trigger itself being more in line with the pivot, it has more leverage, therefore a lighter pull. Hope that clears it up some Posted Image .

Patrick Henry

#15 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
    Crow Hunting

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I guess I did not explain the "gains leverage" comment... what I meant was due to the location of the pivot pin in the trigger housing and the trigger itself being more in line with the pivot, it has more leverage, therefore a lighter pull. Hope that clears it up some Posted Image .

After reading your post and looking at the two triggers, I understand.

Picked up the 581S..........but I will leave that for another thread :)

Thanks,
Gary

#16 Rimsmith

Rimsmith

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Gunsmithing, Shooting, Motorcycles, Music, Home Theater Systems, Great Audio Equipment, Fishing, Hunting, and the List goes on.....

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Many box stock 581s are as accurate as any 541-T (not 541-S) and Carl's advice is sound. Shoot the 581 and if it is accurate, if so, don't do anything to it. If you lop the barrel off you may hurt the accuracy. It seems a shame to cut up a solid 581 with the premium they command these days. Keep it as is and buy a little CZ Scout for a ranch rifle - strong - accurate - handy.

A+ on the CZ Scout. I bought two, for my Daughters... I have several Flavors of CZs, all of which shoot quite well, so I had no concerns about the Scouts being good "learner" Rifles. Within a month, the girls were tearing the Xs out of their targets at 50 yards.
Now, they are just small ragged holes... well, "small" is a bit of a stretch. But, when you concider their cost, they are hard to beat. Neither miss a chance to make sure that I see their target, when they've made me look bad.

Mike .. .. ..

#17 Gary1952

Gary1952

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Can I change the subject a tad? Torqueing action screws?

I have a 541Thb that had a serious accuarcy problem resulting from a manufactureing error. This gun would string shots 2-3 inches!! I found the front pin was incorrectly drilled and reamed resulting in the barrel loosening up. .I did an acceptable fix by putting a 1/8"  long piece of solder between in the front screwhole. The lead crushed against the barrel underside.  It  eventually loosened up. but shots could be contained in a nickel diameter.  I was going to send it out for barrel threading rechambering etc. A gunsmith freind of my mine said he could tighten the barrel by rereaming the pins. This fixed the problem! With Lapua TENEX I can get .25 groups. It is very sensitve to different ammo.

Sorry ramlbe on .. I noticed now the barrel is loose in the stock. My quesiton how tight can I go on the action screwS? ..torque spec, tighten front screw 1St

It is a very nice gun now... not so before the fixes were done

Thanks.

#18 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

My 541X Voelker custom is pillar bedded and I've never had a problem with the action screws loosening up.  I just tighten them down and shoot.  So I've never played around with torque.  I've considered it but need to get a hex head screw for the front first.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users