5 replies to this topic

#1 Flo-Bear

Flo-Bear

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hello guys, I have a question for yall, I'm starting to get serious about benchrest shooting and was wondering if anybody had any info. on if shooting a copper plated .22 bullet had any serious negative effects on barrels? All my life I have usually shot cci mini mags with some desent luck but now i'm starting to think that it might hurt the barrel because of the copper fouling. I'm not asking about shooting copper plated bullets for the tiniest group, but if it might be all right to shoot them while I practice. I've been buying solid lead bullets for practicing but if I could use the bulk federal from wal-mart it would help the wallet out, but I don't want to hurt the potential of the barrel in doing so. Thanks. Good day to all.

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

In my opinion, and that's all it is, copper washed bullets won't HURT your barrel but when you have a nice firearm like a Suhl or 40X wouldn't you want to feed it the best you can? The rifles I use strictly for benchrest have never seen a copper washed bullet unless the rifle is used and the previous owner did. I just bought a CMP 40X and I've got to believe somewhere in it's 45 year history somebody has fired copper washed bullets through it. It still shoots very well. But I will only shoot lead bullets through it even if I had to buy Thunderbolts, Federal 510s or CCI Blazers. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

The other thing to consider here in addition to the type of coating on the bullet is, you will be shooting sub-sonic ammo for BR shooting and most of the copper washed bullets I'm aware of are high velocity. I know of no one shooting HV ammo in BR, even to practice. A good inexpensive practice ammo might be the CCI Standard.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 bugeye

bugeye

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:huntin,shootin,fishin and cruisin.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

I don't know if it's even made anymore but I had great results with winchester T-22
I sure wish my wife and daughter would eat squirrel

#5 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

In my opinion, and that's all it is, copper washed bullets won't HURT your barrel but when you have a nice firearm like a Suhl or 40X wouldn't you want to feed it the best you can? The rifles I use strictly for benchrest have never seen a copper washed bullet unless the rifle is used and the previous owner did. I just bought a CMP 40X and I've got to believe somewhere in it's 45 year history somebody has fired copper washed bullets through it. It still shoots very well. But I will only shoot lead bullets through it even if I had to buy Thunderbolts, Federal 510s or CCI Blazers. Barry

Ditto what Barry said, I do use Eley Sport at $2.50- 3 a box for getting back close to zero when I take off the scope or make a big change to the rifles setup. All Eley is rated at 1085fps except for 2-3 lines like pistol or sub-sonic, I have found (with a little expert tutelage) that Eley Pistol Match works great in cold weather and it is rated at 1000fps it also stops tumbling rounds out of a Suhl with a 17.5:1 twist. I noticed my score did not change that much but my X count went up by 4-5 using the Pistol Match in my Suhl and my 40X, I think it is just slower and more consistent than Match EPS in cooler weather and with slower twist rated barrels like the Suhl it solves accuracy and key holing problems with nothing except an ammo change. I only use copper washed .22's for silhouette because they are high velocity and have a little more knock down power on steel than a standard velocity round. One thing that I found interesting about the slower Pistol Match than Match EPS without a scope adjustment 9 times out of 10 it will shoot higher than Standard Velocity Match EPS simply because the bullet spends more time in the barrel and has time to burn all the powder and transfer that energy to the round and not just shove the bullet past the rifling like with a HV round in a Suhl does. The slower round causes the soft lead to grab a hold of the rifling and stabilize the projectile therefore stopping tumbling or key holing bullets in slower twist or shorter barrels, after thinking about it a pistol has a short barrel and the ammo is made for a pistol length barrel and to stabilize the round they slowed it down so it only makes sense if you shoot a "pistol" match ammo in a rifle it should work better and it does in the Suhl anyway. I hope this helps you some, I did hear of some shooters shooting SK Pistol Match in CZ

#6 bugeye

bugeye

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:huntin,shootin,fishin and cruisin.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Whew, trying to soak up all this info is making my head spin. where I live, none of this match ammo is available.
having only hunting rifles it wouldn't pay to order that stuff.
I sure wish my wife and daughter would eat squirrel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users