13 replies to this topic

#1 Jim w

Jim w

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

One of our guys (Tom J.) was shopping .22s today and saw a CZ with threaded muzzle. I am not clear on the model and configuation, just that it was a CZ .22 with threaded muzzle; at Larry's I think, maybe Wiley's. Marked on tag "Thread protector in box." Guess they figured somebody would steal it if on display.

Anybody here know about that? He thought it was for a tuner, I wondered if it might be an European option for a silencer.

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

One of our guys (Tom J.) was shopping .22s today and saw a CZ with threaded muzzle. I am not clear on the model and configuation, just that it was a CZ .22 with threaded muzzle; at Larry's I think, maybe Wiley's. Marked on tag "Thread protector in box." Guess they figured somebody would steal it if on display.

Anybody here know about that? He thought it was for a tuner, I wondered if it might be an European option for a silencer.

Hi Jim, it is for a silencer. We have had a few UK and Aussie members post some pics of theirs with the "moderators" installed. I think it was stated that it was a standard thread and they could just go to the hardware store and pick out what they wanted.....and it would fit the thread.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 Jim w

Jim w

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

What I thought.
Most foreign lands, getting the gun licensed is the problem. Once you have that, using a silencer is just being a good neighbor, not a gangster.

Yes, I call them silencers because the Maxims did in 1909, no matter the current crop of Internet Experts calls them "supressors." One source with experience says:

"The Maxim silencer was complicated and costly, but also very efficient. The sound of a Springfield .30 rifle was reduced to little more than the click of the firing pin, which (IMHO) pretty well allows it to be called a silencer. The principle was to allow the gas to be channeled through a series of holes into a cylinder fitted with spiral vanes where the gasses went around until they had lost the heat that causes expansion. With the gasses no longer expanding, the noise was minimal. (The silencer got hot as heck, but that was considered a minor drawback.)"

The complex shape of the Maxim baffles would make it very expensive to build now. USFA announced a reproduction pre-war Woodsman with real Maxim Silencer, but have never put it into production.

#4 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Did Tom happen to mention if the rifle in question was quite short? The most common threaded model seems to be the CZ 452 American with a 16.5" barrel. I am sure that this is done to control the overall length of the rifle once the can is attached.

#5 Jim w

Jim w

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

No, he didn't mention or maybe I didn't register such details.

He bought one without iron sights, I assume an American, but it could have been a Varmint.

#6 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Shooting in all forms
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

I'd love to snag one of the threaded-muzzle ones for my can. It's not the same as the standard 1/2-28 that US cans use, but adapters are readily an inexpensively available. I haven't seen one around yet, but I've still got my eyes open!
Two loudest sounds in the world:

1 - A firing pin on a loaded chamber that's supposed to be empty.
2 - A firing pin on an empty chamber that's supposed to be loaded.

#7 Alan

Alan

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

Hi,here in the UK,nearly all rifles are supplied with a screwcut for a "moderator" and is usually 1/2" unf thread,on a .22 with subsonic ammo it reduces the sound to almost nothing,and on centrefire rifles it acts as a muzzle brake reducing the "flip" of the barrel as well as quietening the muzzle report.

Alan

#8 40x513t

40x513t

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Shooting , Hunting, Gun smithing,Reloading ,collecting Sheridan pellet guns

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

I have a BRNO Mod 2 that is threaded with a standard barrel with sights- it has a steel ring thread protector- from what I have learned the thread is different euro is 1/2"x20 us is 1/2"x28 ?? I would like have one on but I don't want to spend $200 plus the hassle and paperwork- I couldn't hunt with it here anyway - silenced firearms prohibited on game animals

#9 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I have a BRNO Mod 2 that is threaded with a standard barrel with sights- it has a steel ring thread protector- from what I have learned the thread is different euro is 1/2"x20 us is 1/2"x28 ?? I would like have one on but I don't want to spend $200 plus the hassle and paperwork- I couldn't hunt with it here anyway - silenced firearms prohibited on game animals

Yeah the threads are not the same, but there's several places that sell adapters. Just thread it onto the barrel, then thread the can onto the adapter. Rimfire Technologies makes a good one just for the CZ. I wasn't going to spend the money on one either, viewed it as more or less a useless novelty, but then my local dealer shot one with me in the room. I was hooked immediately.

#10 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

No, he didn't mention or maybe I didn't register such details.

He bought one without iron sights, I assume an American, but it could have been a Varmint.

Tom bought a CZ .22 rifle? Well hush my mouth!

Is he putting together a USBR Sporter Class tool?

Wish both of you would try the offhand 50/25 Match sometime - you with the Savage Anschutz and he with the CZ.

#11 HotRod9mm

HotRod9mm

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, most anything outdoors

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

..... .22s today and saw a CZ with threaded muzzle. .....Anybody here know about that? ...

Someone say CZ 16"?

Mine before the scope.
Posted Image

With the can
Posted Image

CZ also had a few 17HM2 Varmints that made it into the country with threaded barrels. I heard the number was 1k.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

You'll note the very nicely matching thread adapters on those rifles.

#13 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

its no longer there ;)
yeah it was the American 16" with the threaded muzzle. really nice looking wood on this one also. I had been looking at it for a couple months and finally broke down today.

Edited by Que, 09 January 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#14 jkully

jkully

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Jim...Last year (12/09)I bought a CZ 452 Silhouette in .17HMR with a stock 16" barrel with Parker Hale threads and a cap for the threads. I came from a dealer selling on Gunbroker.com. I call CZ about this and gave them a model number to check on. They said that from time to time they get special runs from the plant for a customer which didn't work out and they send them to several larger distributors. In the case of the 452 Silhouette in .17 HMR, they said they only had from ten to twenty made. In their 2010 Web and catalog they show as an option a 16" barrel for several rifles. I hope this helps...I am having a real & fake can made as we speak for my Parker Hale threads. I'll post a picture of the gun and fake can if you would like to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users