#1 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

It seems to be around here (eastern Kansas).

Walmart has had ammo for the last couple of months.

However, I have not seen my favorite ammo reappear on the shelves of my local WW...Federal 510 or 714 in 50 round boxes.

How is the situation in your neck o' the woods?
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#2 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

It seems to be around here (eastern Kansas).

Walmart has had ammo for the last couple of months.

However, I have not seen my favorite ammo reappear on the shelves of my local WW...Federal 510 or 714 in 50 round boxes.

How is the situation in your neck o' the woods?

The ammo shelves at WM here look like the candy section the day after Halloween bare as all get out, most all the gun shops have 510 but at $19.99 a brick. I caught WM with 15 cases of Federal 510B (lightning) a few months ago I told everyone at the club and I knew that wanted any and gave them 2 days to get their fill and I bought 6 of 8 cases left at $147.90 each. It shoots great in all but my BR guns, my GSG-5 with its veracious appetite really loves it and I love the price. "T"

#3 Mookie

Mookie

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

We only had problems with handgun ammo, specifically .380, and still have problems with the .380 but nothing else has been an issue since maybe march. Plenty of rimfire to go around.

#4 greyhair

greyhair

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

No problem with getting the Federal 550 packs.Winchester 555 and the Expert HV are nowhere to be found.Has anybody found any quantity of the 555's or the Expert?

#5 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,516 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

We only had problems with handgun ammo, specifically .380, and still have problems with the .380 but nothing else has been an issue since maybe march. Plenty of rimfire to go around.

380 is in short supply all over, here the only folks who have any are Academy Sporting Goods
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#6 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Shooting in all forms
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

It's beginning to ease here, you're starting to see Remmy and Federal bulk packs back on the shelves (BiMart yesterday had 20+ bulk packs, and has for a week). CCI is plentiful again, aside from the SV which has always been hard to get around here. I was even able to get two bricks of Wolf MT from a local shop, for $45 a brick!

The shelves have plenty of the more common centerfire ammo, there's even some .380 starting to show up again. It's still a tad thin, but it's definitely starting to get better. Prices are still annoyingly high, although beginning to come down a little from their panic-hording peaks.

Edited by Komitadjie, 25 November 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Two loudest sounds in the world:

1 - A firing pin on a loaded chamber that's supposed to be empty.
2 - A firing pin on an empty chamber that's supposed to be loaded.

#7 keith custard

keith custard

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:high power, rimfire sporter, coaching, cooking, volunteering!

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

NO!!! the ammo shortage is not over. YET. the manufacturers have been so busy getting caught up with 9mm. 38, 357, 223, and 308 that they never got the seasonal ammo done. right now no 30-30, no 270, no 30-06, no 303 brit. all gone at wally world, k-mart, dicks, gander mt.

#8 Mauser12

Mauser12

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

I can get rimfire ammo at most sporting goods stores if I am not picky. Lately, I have had trouble finding CCI mini-mag. One friend that works at a sporting goods store told me it had been months since their mini-mag order had been filled. Even the local Cabelas' rimfire shelf was bare the last time I was there. Wal-Mart usually has bulk packs of one brand or another. If you want a specific type of rimfire ammo it is going to take a lot of driving or calling to find it. Centerfire is a little better. If you reload centerfire it is still really hard to find primers of any kind and some powders and bullets are just extinct.

#9 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Eley finally got me some good lot's and enough to fool with buying it by the case, I just got another 1/2 case today and have 2 half cases of the same lots and speeds on hold so I will 2 cases of two speeds and types 1 case (1010) Pistol Match, 1 case (1073) Match Eps when I get it all in. I travel allot hunting fugitives and always check every Wal-Mart, Dicks, Gander mt., Cabalas, ect. and all have bare shelves in most of the south east except center fire rifle ammo. I run across some Federal bulk in TN but if I were shopping for plinking ammo I would go to Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville they always have a good stock and price on several different types. "T"

#10 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

For the last year and half, .22 RF pretty much dissapeared (ie in very short supplies) in central California. Even the various centerfire cartiridges were becoming scare too. There was always a grip of shotgun shells. Pistol/rifle primers were almost a thing of the past. Last summer at the local gun show, the major ammo supplier vendor even started to limited how much goodies one could purchase. However, the beeg valve at the ammo manufacturers seems to have been cracked opened and the formally scare stuff can now be found....as long as you get there when it hits the shelves. The more popular stuff sell fast. Wally Mart here has implemented a policy whereas you can only buy six boxes of anything at one time.

This morning something told me that I should take a look/see at WM to see if there was any .22's available. Well timing is often everything and I was able to purchase six bricks of Federal 550's .22LR's. Just happen to be finishing the remaining brick of Remington Gold I has last purchased. So I can make a smooth transition at the range from one brand to another and with out having to dip into my other .22 stuff. I keep my paper targets and note what the conditions were; which firearm; ammo; date; any modifications I had made on said firearm; and of course an accurate notation of what I didn't do correctly (other than saying that I goofed up, and you can't keep blamming everything on the wind .:).)

Edited by Technical Director, 03 May 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#11 noshow

noshow

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Since the 1st of this year(2010) things have loosened up a bit. Not in my area(Lower NY), but rather online and nearby NJ Dick's. I was able to accumulate 7 bricks of Federal Champion #510 @ $14.99 from Dunn's online and 6 bricks of CCI SV from Dicks. It was scarry being without for so long, but now , I am comfortable with the stash on hand and will be going through it soon. I will remain aware of availability at sale prices from now on and will take advantage in order to replenish my inventory. I never dreamed that I would have to plan my ammo purchases this way, but so it goes, live n learn.

Edited by noshow, 03 May 2010 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users