5 replies to this topic

#1 Rustystill

Rustystill

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

After having a brain fart, and not being able to figure out how to edit the title, I reposted. Sorry.

I bought this rifle and really don't know why, other than it's a nice rifle, but it not really my thing, so I thought I would put it up for sale. This is a Remington Model 540XR Target 22 L.R. single shot bolt action rifle. It has a Redfield Olympic Model fully adjustable rear sight and I believe a Redfield front globe sight. Has a 26" barrel. It is a very nice intermediate target rifle. Butt stock adjust for length of pull and vertically. Adjustable trigger. This gun was made in 1974. They made these guns between 1974 - 1983 only making around 6400 hundred in this model. Asking $450.00 FTF or plus shipping if shipped.

Target.jpg

#2 Rustystill

Rustystill

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

*SPF*

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

It is hard to believe 18 months have passed since acquiring Rusty's rifle; something to share with junior shooters. On the trip to Memphis UPS destroyed the stock. It was broken in half and the pistol grip crushed. So began the restoration project. The pieces were epoxied together and the voids faired. Glass bedding and pillars were installed. The bent buttplate was sprung back into shape using a vice and shims. The decision to use a two part epoxy marine paint was a mistake; could never get it to flow perfectly with a brush. But after a half dozen or so hand rubbed coats it will do.

Last night the bore was deep cleaned in preparation for its rebirth. The trigger is set at 3 lb 2 oz, but there is zero take up and the break is very crisp. After a few shots to get zeroed it went to prone. While the fixed iris was a little tight, it keep the Wolf Target inside the 9 ring on the International target at 50 yards; no small accomplishment. One more project complete.

Mark

540XR022011-2.JPG

#4 GDStutts

GDStutts

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

It is hard to believe 18 months have passed since acquiring Rusty's rifle; something to share with junior shooters. On the trip to Memphis UPS destroyed the stock. It was broken in half and the pistol grip crushed. So began the restoration project. The pieces were epoxied together and the voids faired. Glass bedding and pillars were installed. The bent buttplate was sprung back into shape using a vice and shims. The decision to use a two part epoxy marine paint was a mistake; could never get it to flow perfectly with a brush. But after a half dozen or so hand rubbed coats it will do.

Last night the bore was deep cleaned in preparation for its rebirth. The trigger is set at 3 lb 2 oz, but there is zero take up and the break is very crisp. After a few shots to get zeroed it went to prone. While the fixed iris was a little tight, it keep the Wolf Target inside the 9 ring on the International target at 50 yards; no small accomplishment. One more project complete.

Mark

540XR022011-2.JPG

Could you provide info and maybe a picture of the Olympic rear sight base? I wish to put one on my gun and have not found a reference as to which base is correct for this gun ans sight combination. Thanks in advance!

#5 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

It is a standard rear base. I would post a picture but the rifle is up north.

Champion Shooters sells the bases. Look under Bases & Mounts - Receiver Sight Base. The height will depend on the front sight used and distance you shoot.

Mark

http://www.champions.../index-ssl.html

#6 GDStutts

GDStutts

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

It is a standard rear base. I would post a picture but the rifle is up north.

Champion Shooters sells the bases. Look under Bases & Mounts - Receiver Sight Base. The height will depend on the front sight used and distance you shoot.

Mark

http://www.champions.../index-ssl.html

Thanks, I will call them in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users