#1 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have started shooting an older 75T with a Konus 6x24x44 AO scope at both 50 and 100 yds. I have only been able to get the trigger down to about 38 oz. without the sear failing to reset sometimes. My accuracy at 50 for 5 shots is W. Wildcats 7/8 in., W. T22 6/8 in., and Eley Standard 5/8 in. Once in awhile I get sub 1/2 in. groups but I usually push 1 round out of the group. Is this normal grouping and trigger weight with a stock rifle? Thanks, this is my first post.

Dale

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(djr @ May 17 2009, 11:10 PM) View Post
I have started shooting an older 75T with a Konus 6x24x44 AO scope at both 50 and 100 yds. I have only been able to get the trigger down to about 38 oz. without the sear failing to reset sometimes. My accuracy at 50 for 5 shots is W. Wildcats 7/8 in., W. T22 6/8 in., and Eley Standard 5/8 in. Once in awhile I get sub 1/2 in. groups but I usually push 1 round out of the group. Is this normal grouping and trigger weight with a stock rifle? Thanks, this is my first post.

Dale

First a big time RFS Welcome Dale. On a factory trigger it is not surprising that you cannot get it any lower. My 52 will only go down to about 2.5 pounds. As for the trigger producing a larger group a lot of things come into play. The technique of breaking the trigger while the rifle is ridding the bags is a huge factor. My Annie 54 likes to be muscled while my 52 likes to broken with little pressure from the outside. Also Wildcats are not the most consistent of ammo, try some Wolf MT , Eley Eps or other premium ammo and compare results.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have shot some Wolf Match in the 75T. With my limited ability it groups like the Eley Standard ( 5/8in. at 50). Are my groups average or will the 75T do much better. I am hoping for less than 1 in. at 100yds.
Dale

#4 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,544 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(djr @ May 17 2009, 11:45 PM) View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have shot some Wolf Match in the 75T. With my limited ability it groups like the Eley Standard ( 5/8in. at 50). Are my groups average or will the 75T do much better. I am hoping for less than 1 in. at 100yds.
Dale

At 100 yards your ability to read and dope the wind will have as much to do with tight groups as the rifle and optics. The wind is such a factor with 22LR, a lot of people think if they can shoot 1/2 inch at 50 yards the gun/scope/ammo combo should produce 1 inch at 100 yards....this is far from reality. I rarely shoot at 100 yards with my rimfires ......I think one of the reasons is I am such a poor wind reader. Perhaps some other members will offer some help here.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

#5 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,871 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

Welcome Dale and be sure you shoot a sub-sonic ammo at 100 yds. Sounds like HV would be better because it will get to the target quicker and be less affected by the wind, but it does not work that way. True the drop will be more, but the wind will affect sub-sonic less.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#6 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Dale,
Consistent 1.00 inch five shot groups at 100 yards are doable but not easy. Let

#7 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Carl and Mark,
I guess what I am trying to establish is what is the normal, average grouping ability of the 75T at 50 and 100 with its favorite mid price ammo (W. T22) and the higher price stuff (Eley, Wolf).
Thanks,
Dale

#8 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

After another couple hundred rounds I think I have established my and the 75T's current capabilites. 50yds. 2 piece rest 5-5 shot groups 2.75 pound trigger
Win Wildcats .80 inch
T 22 Win. .67 inch
Wolf Extra .55 inch

Is this close to normal for the 75T?
Dale Ramey

#9 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(djr @ May 18 2009, 04:37 PM) View Post
After another couple hundred rounds I think I have established my and the 75T's current capabilites. 50yds. 2 piece rest 5-5 shot groups 2.75 pound trigger
Win Wildcats .80 inch
T 22 Win. .67 inch
Wolf Extra .55 inch

Is this close to normal for the 75T?
Dale Ramey

I would say yes, you can probably squeeze a but more out if you play with the tension of the stock screw. Does your 75-T have barrel tensioner's ??

Also a good cleaning and start from zero might be something to consider.

Dwight

#10 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

I agree with Dwight.

75's are very nice rifles. I'd have to be hurting pretty bad before I'd sell mine.

If you can consistently shoot 1.5 inches at 100 yards with Wolf Target, that would be reasonably good for any mid-grade factory target rifle. A Remington 40X, Winchester 52, or Anschutz should do a little better but you are looking at 2-7X the cost.

Mark

#11 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

Thanks,
That is the info I was looking for.
Dale

#12 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

Not really certain what a barrel tensioner is. I did remove my barrel band.
Dale

#13 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

I competed in my first 50 yd. BR match yesterday. (1200 score) Winchester 75T, Wolf Match, Konus Pro
6x24x44 scope, 1 piece rest
I did not have the parrallax set perfect and with the heavy trigger (38 oz.) I could see some reticle movement just as some of the shots broke. I would think my rifle, ammo combination should shot at least 1600.
Dale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users