#1 Rokky

Rokky

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

I would like to know what would be a good air rifle that is powerful enough for small game, is quiet, easy to load and is not to expensive.
Right now I have a Daisy 880S and after I finally took the scope off and zeroed in the open sights it is vary accurate, however I need more fire power and something that will load faster as the Daisy is a single shot and a little difficult to pop the pellet in with any speed.
I also have to pump it about 9 times and that takes to much time if I got several vermin to attend to.
I thought of a break barrel, but I have heard they are very loud.
Thanks.

#2 gillchaser

gillchaser

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:Anything shooting ; fishing ; camping; hunting

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Airguns are a short range tool for hunting small game . It's like bowhunting is to big game . I don't know how much you'd be willing to spend . A nice PCP would be the easiest one to shoot well, IMO , but you have a high cost of the rifle coupled with the cost of a way to fill it . Least expensive route for a PCP would be a Crosman Discovery , but if you get one , buy it from Mac1 or Mountain Air , so they can perform an accuracy test on it and make sure it'll make you happy once you get it . Buy it with a pump and that would be all you'd need to shoot it . But for it to be quiet , you'll need a full length barrel shroud and that you can have Roy at Mountainair fit it for. Or hold out for the new Marauder , Crosman is releasing in a couple of months and get a pump for it . It'll have a shroud factory installed and will have a 10 round magazine . Personally I don't find the break barreled rifles all that loud . If you go that route , buy a quality rife to begin with . For hunting, I recommend a Beeman R9 . Spring Piston guns (break barreled) are going to require a learning curve to be able to shoot them well enough to hunt with. some people never learn how to shoot one. kirby
>}}}}}> ------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>
SO MANY FISH , SO LITTLE TIME ............................. >}}}}}>
>}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}> ........ >}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}>

#3 Rimfire Kid

Rimfire Kid

Legendary Shooter

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Interests:small bore silhouette, air rifle silhouette, and field target

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

Rokky: More information about your situtation such as location, type of small game, distance and neighbors would really be helpful. First thing to decide is how much are you willing to spend? For small game, I would suggest going with a .22 caliber. How quiet do you want the rifle to be. With a pcp, you will need an air supply to charge the air cylinder up (extra cost). Some of the springers (TX 200) are not too loud but they are louder than some pcp rifles. Keep in mind a spring gun is a self contained power source (no need to fill it with air). With a break barrel spring gun, you can get one with a barrel shroud (extra cost) but is fairly quiet. Check out some of the air gun classified ads (forums). You might find a good used rifle at a good price. Check with you local air gun club. You never know if a club member might have a rifle for sale.

Give us more information and we will try to give you better information, so you can make a better more informed decision. Good luck Ken

#4 Rokky

Rokky

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

Rimfire Kid,

The Daisy 880 is the perfect size and weight. It is accurate and makes very little noise, however, I would like something with just a little bit more power and still have the virtues of the 880.
I live in a rural mountainous area and even though I live on two acres sounds do carry so I need a quiet fire stick.
My biggest sized game is squirrels. We are over run with them and they need to be thinned out.
I hear the break barrels are very powerful, but they are loud.
The ones with the air cylinders are also very nice, but I want this gun as simple as possible.
The two guns that have been looking at, but have not seen them up close are the Remington 77 and the Gamo Whisper.
The Gamo has the noise suppressor and they claim 52% less noise. However how quiet is that? The Gamo is a little pricy also.
The Remington 77 is less bucks, but may be to loud, I don't now.
Anyway, I guess I'm looking for something quiet, powerful, accurate and no more then $150,00. Like to stay under a $100.00 if I can, but I don't want to seem cheap.
So give me a list of what you think will work for me and I will start hitting the stores.
Thanks for the help.

#5 gillchaser

gillchaser

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:Anything shooting ; fishing ; camping; hunting

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

The Remington is made in China . I don't buy Chinese airguns anymore , I haven't had any luck with them . The Gamo is made in Spain and is a step up but has a lawyer trigger from the factory . If you go Gamo , buy yourself an after market trigger from Charlie the Tuna . You won't be sorry. http://charliedatuna.com/index.html Personally I prefer German or English made air rifles . Most of them need very little , except shooting to break them in . They do cost a more , but the quality is there and they will last a life time with a litttle care . JMO kirby
>}}}}}> ------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>
SO MANY FISH , SO LITTLE TIME ............................. >}}}}}>
>}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}> ........ >}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}>

#6 Mr. 22

Mr. 22

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Shooting, Shooting

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

For quiet I would suggest the Gamo Whisper, but that is a little out of your price range.

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers"
-Charlton Heston

#7 TCups

TCups

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Air rifles, firearms, 10-meter, 50yd and 100yd target shooting, fly fishing, and my new German Shepherd pup, Annie.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Welcome, Rokky.

First, "air rifles" can be a very wide topic. There are 4 basic power plants to consider: Springers, CO2 powered, Single and multi-pump pneumatics (Pumpers), and Pre-charged pneumatics (PCP's). Potentially, the most powerful and quietest are the PCP's will full barrel shrouds. New, $500 entry level with another $250 or so for pump or scuba tank and fill hose. I presume this is not what you are after.

Springers are probably the best choice for a "knock around plinker/hunter with enough "umph" to take small game. In my opinion, I would avoid the Whisper, or any Gamo product all together. Here's why: the largest volume of noise from a springer, by far, comes from the spring driven power plant, not the report of a sub-sonic pellet and poof of air blasting out of the muzzle. Muzzle brakes on springers serve only to protect the barrel crown and provide a handle for cocking. The Whisper noise reduction muzzle device is a gimmick. It makes the air rifle hard to clean, and can potentially have a negative effect on accuracy. Second, the Gamo's have notoriously bad triggers. They can be replaced, but it is an added expense. Third, the Gamos are inherently noisy springers. The best way to quieten a springer is to use a high quality spring that won't bend or twang against the compression tube, which requires a precision machined spring guide, top hat, and piston seal. Replacing these items and doing a careful clean up, removing any rough edges from the internal working parts, and carefully lubricating the the power plant with various tars, moly paste, and lubricants is called a "tune" and will substantially reduce the noise made by a springer as well as increase its accuracy by making it easier and more pleasant to shoot. You can get a decent, entry level tuned Chinese clone springer for as little as $140 shipped. You will spend that much or more replacing a Gamo trigger, getting it tuned, and having it shipped over and above the base price of the Gamo. You do the math.

The Chinese clone guns get a bad reputation because of poor quality control. It is easy to get a lemon. Most are not properly cleaned or lubricated as they come, new in a box. But they can be a reasonable choice with a little extra work.

There are better quality springers (which by the way, can still benefit from a tune. The "benchmarks" in the better quality springers are probably the Diana 34 or 34 Panther and the Beeman R9. Diana is the manufacturer of the Diana 34, RWS imports them. You can check prices on line at places like PyramidAir.com

CO2 guns can be very accurate and fairly powerful. The bad news is that they are probably louder than either springers, pumpers or PCP's in most cases. And if you plan to hunt in weather much cooler than 55 F degrees, the CO2 guns will suffer a significant power drop and have inconsistent velocities. Not my choice for a fall afternoon in the woods. Check out Roy Weid's site for some nice ones.

see: http://www.mountaina...tomairguns.com/

OK -- here's the specific advice:

Get a BAM B26 from Mike Melick at Flying Dragon Airguns. Mike buys the Chinese guns by the case, goes through them, and discards the crappy ones. He will clean and lap the bore, polish the trigger sear, and lubricate the air rifle and ship it to you, ready to shoot for a base price of $140. There is no better bargain in a basic air rifle. The B-26 is a Chinese clone of the Beeman R9 and has an excellent trigger. A MM B-26 in .22 will shoot 14.3 gr pellets at about 625-650, and .177 8.3 grain pellets at about 825-850 FPS. Either will be entirely sufficient for small game like birds, squirrels or even rabbits. I ordered another fully tuned MM-B26 last week (I have three). With tune, trigger work, a new Maccari spring and seal, the front sight removed and a custom muzzle brake installed, the rifle was $240, shipped to my door. Add a BSA 2-7X 32 mm AO or 3-9X44mm AO scope and mounts, and for just over $300, you will have a tuned ChiClone that will hang with any Di 34 Panther or Beeman R9 Goldfinger. I know -- I have both of these, custom tuned. These are excellent knock around hunters. The will be quieter than a Whisper. They shoot smoothly. They have a solid hardwood stock instead of a hollow plastic synthetic stock (which with the springers, adds to the noise significantly), and they are heavy enough (around 7 pounds scoped, as I recall) to absorb some of the recoil and not destroy scopes in short order (another drawback of the Whisper and light, synthetic stock springers.

See:

http://airgunartisan...m/flyingdragon/
http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=
http://www.natchezss... Target Turrets
http://www.straights.../sssampler.html

By the way, pay absolutely no attention to any manufacturer's advertised muzzle velocity. StraightShooters does a good job of actually testing the air rifles and posting their true velocities.

Edited by TCups, 25 July 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Thanks TCups...
Since I know absolutely nothing about air rifles, that was great information. My son-in-law and I have wondered about an air rifle for my grandson, and that info is very useful. Do not want to spend several hundred bucks and it seemed like the ones we looked at on shelves were either junk or too high priced. Didn't know if there was such a thing as a low cost decent model. One question though... how about peep sights for one? Most we see on shelves have scopes, and/or big ugly open sights mounted waaaaay out on the barrel. Would like the option of peeps and scope. Had him shooting my Remington 510-P (s/s .22 with peep sight) and he did well with that. It's my belief that peep sights are the best way to go in teaching a kid to shoot. I know peep sights on a springer that is cocked with the barrel might be a problem because of the barrel movement, but hope there is something that works.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#9 TCups

TCups

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Air rifles, firearms, 10-meter, 50yd and 100yd target shooting, fly fishing, and my new German Shepherd pup, Annie.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Thanks TCups...
Since I know absolutely nothing about air rifles, that was great information. My son-in-law and I have wondered about an air rifle for my grandson, and that info is very useful. Do not want to spend several hundred bucks and it seemed like the ones we looked at on shelves were either junk or too high priced. Didn't know if there was such a thing as a low cost decent model. One question though... how about peep sights for one? Most we see on shelves have scopes, and/or big ugly open sights mounted waaaaay out on the barrel. Would like the option of peeps and scope. Had him shooting my Remington 510-P (s/s .22 with peep sight) and he did well with that. It's my belief that peep sights are the best way to go in teaching a kid to shoot. I know peep sights on a springer that is cocked with the barrel might be a problem because of the barrel movement, but hope there is something that works.

You are correct about putting a rear peep sight on a brake barrel. Doesn't work well. For a peep-sighted air rifle, particularly for a youth trainer, I would look at a Daisy 853 Avanti. These come with a short LOP and stock spacers (bottom air rifle). They are single pump pneumatic air rifles with Lothar Walther barrels that are VERY accurate shooters. The stock trigger pull is a bit stiff, but that is by design.

Another choice would be an AR2078a -- Chinese CO2 rifle (single rifle pictured). The stock version comes with a RH target style stock that is way too short on the LOP for most adults. I bought one from Mike Melick, changed out the stock for and (ambi) QB78 stock (Mike sold me an extra QB78 stock for about $25 as I recall), and had it tuned down to shoot around 650 FPS. It takes two 12-gram CO2 carts and will shoot around 80 shots with consistent velocity before dropping off, at temps above 72 degrees (third pic is re-stocked AR2078a vs Daisy Avanti).

Here are the Daisy 853 Avanti and the QB-stocked AR2078a

And then, there is my Walther LGR-U single pump pneumatic with Gehman diopters . . . (top, first pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• P1271921.jpg
  • P1010192.jpg
  • P1010208.jpg

Edited by TCups, 06 August 2009 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users