10xshooter

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, High Standard Pistols, old cars
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

I shoot quite a lot of .22 ammo (mostly plinking but targets also) and considering both function and accuracy I find it hard to beat Federal bulk ammo.

#2 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Yep, for the money I like Federal a lot, too.

The bulk stuff from Walmart is a *little* bit inconsistent but the Federal that comes in blue boxes I have found to be as good of ammo as I need.

Lately, though--brace yourselves--I had a good batch of Remington Golden Bullets. So good, in fact, that I went back and bought two more cartons of it, in spite of the fact that I'd publicly sworn off of Remington ammo.

Also I used my coupon that Winchester sent me to replace the Xperts I'd sent back to them to buy four 100 round boxes of Winchester SuperX Super Speed 40gr Round Nose. Advertised at being 1300 fps. It wasn't what I wanted but Cabelas was cleaned out of everything except that and Wildcats. I wanted plain old Super X but there was none.

Still, I try to pick up some blue box Federal ever time I go to Walmart.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

With all the revolver shooting of late, my supply of pistol ammo was low. I picked up some Federal 711B for $361 a case plus $30 shipping. If you are interested in the contact information, send me a PM.

Mark

#4 Pat C

Pat C

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, varmint hunting, space modeling, writing, music, astronomy

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:11 AM

I was about to ask a question on this very topic. I considered buying the Federal bulk pack "Auto Match" at Wally World, which states its optimized for autoloaders. Is there any reason it wouldn't work well for a bolt-action? What would be the difference between loads?

Tried the Federal blue-box ammo last week and it was okay for all-around shooting in my Savage MKII FSS. It really liked the CCI hi-velocity rounds, but I haven't seen those in bulk.

#5 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,779 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(cp1969 @ Feb 19 2009, 09:44 PM) View Post

Lately, though--brace yourselves--I had a good batch of Remington Golden Bullets. So good, in fact, that I went back and bought two more cartons of it, in spite of the fact that I'd publicly sworn off of Remington ammo.

OMG!!!! What's the world coming to??? laugh.gif Actually, I found the Remington Goldens to be more accurate at 100 yds than anything high velocity I tried, but they don't cut it at 50 yds, in my 597.

As for Federal, I swore off of them several years back when I had emailed them to ask if they were ever going to make the 900,1000, UM-1 series again. I got a really nasty email back from them in reply... wish I had kept it and sent a copy to their management... I don't think they would have liked it. I really liked the old Federal Classic high velocity. I also object to their advertizing of the 711B relating it to the US Olympic teams. I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but it was intended to make you think the team used that instead of the obsolete 900,1000,UM-1 series. I did reply to his email and told him that would affect my future purchase of any Federal from now on. All I have bought since that day is a few primers.

ADDED "HIGH VELOCITY" ABOVE... some target ammo was better.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#6 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Carl @ Feb 20 2009, 07:13 AM) View Post

As for Federal, I swore off of them several years back when I had emailed them to ask if they were ever going to make the 900,1000, UM-1 series again.

I had a case of Federal with a few bad primers maybe 8 years ago. I sent them an email explaining how I would loose my kneeling position in 3P when it happened and they replaced the entire case and paid the shipping, no questions asked.

Mark

#7 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,534 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(patriot @ Feb 20 2009, 07:58 AM) View Post

I had a case of Federal with a few bad primers maybe 8 years ago. I sent them an email explaining how I would loose my kneeling position in 3P when it happened and they replaced the entire case and paid the shipping, no questions asked.

Mark

I had some of the same stuff with that problem Mark around that time. I had purchased it from Gil Hebard. I had 6 Bricks and after going through 1/2 of it I contacted Gil , he gave me the name of the person in charge at Federal and said they would make it right. I called this person and he asked that I send in my remaining 2 1/2 bricks..I did at my expense....nothing from Federal for over 8 weeks. Finally after calling this guy a lot he sent me 2 Bricks of 711B with the dimpled cases. I was so disgusted with Federal that I didn't touch that ammo for years. The last year while looking for ammo fir my Biathlon Basic I found this ammo and tried it....it was great. In fact I managed to shoot my two highest scores to date with that ammo. I just wish Federal had taken better care of me, I purchased 6 bricks , sent back 2 1/2 at a cost of over 20 bucks due to the Hazmat shipping. I want to see how your new 711B shoots , please let me know.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#8 KILBO

KILBO

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Interests are shooting, hunting, camping,crabbing and spending time with my wife and kids as much as possible.Just enjoying life in general.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

I still like the Federal 510 since it's cheap and shoots good enough for practice. It will never be on par with the match grade ammo but it serves it's purpose and it's relatively cheap. I have some problems in my Buckmark but they are very accurate in it that I don't mind a stove pipe every now and then. My 10 year old daughter picked up 90 points on her pistol league score with them so I'll continue to use them with out any complains. Hope this helps

BRIAN

#9 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(KILBO @ Feb 20 2009, 11:39 PM) View Post

I still like the Federal 510 since it's cheap and shoots good enough for practice. It will never be on par with the match grade ammo but it serves it's purpose and it's relatively cheap. I have some problems in my Buckmark but they are very accurate in it that I don't mind a stove pipe every now and then. My 10 year old daughter picked up 90 points on her pistol league score with them so I'll continue to use them with out any complains. Hope this helps

BRIAN

Haven't seen you around in a while, Brian. Hope all is well and good to "see" you. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#10 Whitefeather

Whitefeather

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:hunting& shooting,biking,fishing,camping,computers

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Pat C @ Feb 20 2009, 08:11 AM) View Post

I was about to ask a question on this very topic. I considered buying the Federal bulk pack "Auto Match" at Wally World, which states its optimized for autoloaders. Is there any reason it wouldn't work well for a bolt-action? What would be the difference between loads?

Tried the Federal blue-box ammo last week and it was okay for all-around shooting in my Savage MKII FSS. It really liked the CCI hi-velocity rounds, but I haven't seen those in bulk.

Pat: I just bought some federal auto match at "wally world" and was delighted with it.In my Ruger custom 1022 it drives tacks<clean burning and functioned flawlessly.I see no reason why it wouldn't work in your bolt gun.I'm only guessing but I think the cases are probally sized a bit smaller to function in autos. Same as you might do with a centerfire using a SB die [small base]
Joe Bergeron

#11 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(KILBO @ Feb 20 2009, 11:39 PM) View Post

I still like the Federal 510 since it's cheap and shoots good enough for practice. BRIAN

My friend burned up a couple of boxes of 510 Sunday in his S&W 41 and it functioned flawlessly. After shooting Remington, he was ready to sell the Smith as a paperweight. I shot the 510 in my Colt Officer slowfire at 25 yards and it was on call. I'm not sure how it would perform in a rifle, but its fine in a handgun.

Mark

#12 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting- anything that walks or flies, punching paper at the range, IDPA or other matches when time allows.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

I've had very good luck with the Auto Match, 711B, 714, and 510's. The only exception being a couple of bad lots of Auto Match last year. The 711B has been very consistent for me from lot to lot.

Jay

#13 KILBO

KILBO

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Interests are shooting, hunting, camping,crabbing and spending time with my wife and kids as much as possible.Just enjoying life in general.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Barry @ Feb 21 2009, 08:33 AM) View Post

Haven't seen you around in a while, Brian. Hope all is well and good to "see" you. Barry

Hey Barry thanks for your concern and yes all is well. I've been busy with the hunting season biggrin.gif and visiting another local NJ hunting forum. I've been stopping in here every now and then but have not posted in awhile. I definately will be posting a lot more soon since the spring is coming and it will be time to get out the .22's for some target practice. As for this topic i'll say the federal 510 are still performing great and my daughter has picked up another 50 points on her average in our pistol leagues.

BRIAN

Edited by KILBO, 15 March 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#14 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(KILBO @ Mar 15 2009, 07:11 PM) View Post

Hey Barry thanks for your concern and yes all is well. I've been busy with the hunting season biggrin.gif and visiting another local NJ hunting forum. I've been stopping in here every now and then but have not posted in awhile. I will definately will be posting a lot more soon since the spring is coming and it will be time to get out the .22's for some target practice. As for this topic i'll say the federal 510 are still performing great and my daughter has picked up another 50 points on her average in our pistol leagues.

BRIAN

Great , Brian. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users