Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Archery
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

HI ALL
ARE THE BARSKA SCOPES ANY GOOD ?? IAM ALSO LOOKIN AT THE TASCO,SIMMONS..ALSO, SO MANY TO CHOOSE. I WANT HIGH POWER 8x32x50 OR 10X40X50 AO... DEFFINETLY 50MM AO..
ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR DIFFERENT BRANDS PLEASE HELP. IT GOIN ON MY VERY OLD ANSCHUTZ 22LR FULL WOOD STOCK. SMALL GAME HUNTING BUT MOSTLY SHOOTING AT THE RANGE.
I DO LIKE SHOOTING VERY TIGHT GROUPS NOT JUST SHOOTING FOR FUN

THANKS JOJO357 excl.gif blink.gif

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

There are several people on this site that use the Barska scopes. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. Not sure what powers they come in but a lot of people say good things about the Mueller line of scopes. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 JOJO357

JOJO357

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Barry @ Feb 15 2009, 05:14 PM) View Post

There are several people on this site that use the Barska scopes. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. Not sure what powers they come in but a lot of people say good things about the Mueller line of scopes. Barry

WHERE ARE THEY MADE ?? GOOD LOOKIN SCOPE JUST WENT TO THE WEB SITE

#4 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(JOJO357 @ Feb 15 2009, 04:19 PM) View Post

WHERE ARE THEY MADE ?? GOOD LOOKIN SCOPE JUST WENT TO THE WEB SITE

I don't own one , but I will give you my opinion FWIW. When you buy a scope with high magnification and zoom range you are pushing the limits of physics for the glass and the mechanism . Even the high end scopes (Swaroviski , Schmidt & Bender , Kalles) get dim and the extreme end of the focal range. My background is in Imaging and Photography , we always had a rule of thumb when using Zoom lenses on cameras , stay close to the mid range and get the best pictures.....I think its true of Rifle scopes as well. If you want a big power scope expect to pay big bucks. Now some folks in our club use Barska scope but they are in a lower power range....so draw from this what you might.

Best of luck and if you get one post the review here for all of us...we could be surprised at the results.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#5 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

I have several of the Barska 6.5-20 50 mm Varmint models and have had good luck with them. They have 1/8 min. adjustments.

#6 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

FWIW , I have known Perry for well over 25 years and you can take his word on subjects. He has first hand knowledge with your product.......so very good input from a shooter.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

#7 JOJO357

JOJO357

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ Feb 15 2009, 07:18 PM) View Post

FWIW , I have known Perry for well over 25 years and you can take his word on subjects. He has first hand knowledge with your product.......so very good input from a shooter.

Dwight

THANKS FOR INPUT.. WHERE ARE THEY MADE ????

#8 505Gibbs

505Gibbs

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:05 AM

Barska is a Chinese product and while some are happy with their products there are others that have had many issues.
IF you take refuge in price - you might not like the result.

#9 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

I have heard of problems on their SWAT scopes. I can only say I have been happy with the models that I own and have used. They have a large product line and are probably made for them by various Chinese manufacturers. Several of our club members own the 6.5x20 50 models and I have not heard any complaints. I see you are wanting the higher magnifications. I don't have any experiance with these. The only other Barska scopes I have, are a 3x12 40 air rifle version. I have two of those.

#10 JOJO357

JOJO357

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

OK THATS IT !! I DIDIT AND I LOVED IT........ LOL WELL I BROKE DOWN TODAY AND GOT A BARSKA 6.5X20X50 ON ON THE SPORTMANS GUIDE FREE SHIPPING MEMBERS PRICE OF $34.95 I MEAN COME ON THATS A STEAL. IAM A FIRM BELIEVER OF YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BUT COME ON FOR $35.00 W/ FREE SHIP ITS WORTH A SHOT... IAM STILL LOOKIN AT THE USED LEUPOLDS AND OLD USED WEAVERS, BUSHNELLS. I FIGURED WHAT THE HELL..... IAM STILL TRYING TO PUT UP A PIC OR MY OLD ANSCHUTZ. I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG..........ME OR THIS SIGHT ?????

#11 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(JOJO357 @ Feb 18 2009, 05:46 PM) View Post
OK THATS IT !! I DIDIT AND I LOVED IT........ LOL WELL I BROKE DOWN TODAY AND GOT A BARSKA 6.5X20X50 ON ON THE SPORTMANS GUIDE FREE SHIPPING MEMBERS PRICE OF $34.95 I MEAN COME ON THATS A STEAL. IAM A FIRM BELIEVER OF YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BUT COME ON FOR $35.00 W/ FREE SHIP ITS WORTH A SHOT... IAM STILL LOOKIN AT THE USED LEUPOLDS AND OLD USED WEAVERS, BUSHNELLS. I FIGURED WHAT THE HELL..... IAM STILL TRYING TO PUT UP A PIC OR MY OLD ANSCHUTZ. I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG..........ME OR THIS SIGHT ?????

Like I posted , email me the pics at fmjbt@comcast.net

#12 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Sportsman's Guide is where I bought mine. I have 5 of the 6.5x20 50mm. I have been happy with them. You will generaly need extra high rings. I thought they had run out of them at that price, That is what I paid for the last two I bought. Current price at Midway is $82.99.

#13 JOJO357

JOJO357

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Pearyw @ Feb 19 2009, 10:02 AM) View Post

Sportsman's Guide is where I bought mine. I have 5 of the 6.5x20 50mm. I have been happy with them. You will generaly need extra high rings. I thought they had run out of them at that price, That is what I paid for the last two I bought. Current price at Midway is $82.99.

WELL ITS ON BACK ORDER TILL MARCH 13. IAM IN NO HURRY BEING THE WEATHER IS NOT ALL THAT GREAT HERE ON LONG ISLAND. IAM THINKING I SHOULD HAVE ORDER 2 AFTER TALKIN WITH YOU ABOUT THEM.. WELL ILL SEE HOW THIS ONE GOES. ITS GOIN ON THAT OLD ANSCHUTZ 22LR. AND IAM ITCHIN TO SHOOT........ THANKS FOR THE INFO PEARYW tumbs.gif

#14 soopdave

soopdave

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:rimfire cmp,silhoette

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Are Vortex scopes made by Barska ?

#15 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

I looked at Vortex's web site. They are another scope company like Barska, Simmons, Tasco, etc. They are in Madison, Wisconsin. Barska is in La Verne, CA.

#16 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(Pearyw @ Feb 22 2009, 04:42 PM) View Post
I looked at Vortex's web site. They are another scope company like Barska, Simmons, Tasco, etc. They are in Madison, Wisconsin. Barska is in La Verne, CA.

The question is which production house are they being made in. Bradly157 would be a good one to ask this, he really stays ontop of this info.

#17 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

I would love to see a comparison study of the Chinese made rifle scopes to determine the quality and which ones are the same. I would like to see what are the differences in lens, coatings, mechanical parts etc. Knowing how gun magazine writers are paid, I doubt that anyone would put forth the effort and expense to do it.

#18 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:speaker building.woodworking.photography and motorcycles<br />not to mention firearms

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

Dunhams by me in Michigan have the Barska 6.5x20x50 for $69 or $59 right now.

Later
Arjay

#19 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Squirrel hunting.<br />Pastor of Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Tuscumbia, Al.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

I have a Barska 8x32 (marketed as GuideGear from Sportsman Guide). I've been using it for 3 years now & it does great. The only problem is that the paralax adjustment markings are slightly off. No big deal.
God bless & good shooting,
Danny R.

#20 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Feb 25 2009, 05:47 PM) View Post
I have a Barska 8x32 (marketed as GuideGear from Sportsman Guide). I've been using it for 3 years now & it does great. The only problem is that the paralax adjustment markings are slightly off. No big deal.
God bless & good shooting,
Danny R.

Hey I have Leupolds that the paralax markings are off by quite a bit...no big deal there. The most accurate one I have is SIghtron HBRII 6X , the markings are right on the money.

Dwight

#21 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:speaker building.woodworking.photography and motorcycles<br />not to mention firearms

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

I've seen multi thousand dollar Pana-Vision lenses where the witness marks are off, that's why most camera men make their own marks with tape and sharpies using a tape measure.

Later
Arjay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users