• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Countryman

Countryman

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Guns, chess, shooting, trap, photography, mycology, riding my atv, computers, web design, my dog, stock market, and loving my wife.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

Hi all:
New to this board and got a question for you. Am contemplating purchase of an 1450. It's is good shape, with nice wood. Any idea of a fair and reasonable price for it would be? TIA

Countryman

PS Anyone out there have one of these carbines? How do they shoot and how do you like it? Any idea of the weight? I was thinking of buying it to use in the CMP Sporter Program and it can't weigh much more than 6 lbs. as the limit with scope is 7.5 lbs.

Edited by Countryman, 02 October 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

My '06 Blue Book shows a 98% @ $375 and 95% @ $325. My guess would be that they might run a little higher than that as the price of "brand name" rifles has been escalating in the last couple of years and the BB isn't keeping up with actual pricing. I suspect it was a fore-runner to the 1451 which I shot most of last year in Sporter class. I worked on the triggers of two of them for a friend and shot them while I had them. I was not particularly happy with either of the 1451s I shot, but he also had a Kadett that shot great. Problem is, the Kadett was made less than two years and are really hard to find. All of these rifles use the small Anschutz action, smaller than a 64. One thing about them, they will hold their value, so my inclination would be to buy it and shoot it... if you decide you don't like it, you'll get your money back.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Countryman

Countryman

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Guns, chess, shooting, trap, photography, mycology, riding my atv, computers, web design, my dog, stock market, and loving my wife.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Oct 2 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post

My '06 Blue Book shows a 98% @ $375 and 95% @ $325. My guess would be that they might run a little higher than that as the price of "brand name" rifles has been escalating in the last couple of years and the BB isn't keeping up with actual pricing. I suspect it was a fore-runner to the 1451 which I shot most of last year in Sporter class. I worked on the triggers of two of them for a friend and shot them while I had them. I was not particularly happy with either of the 1451s I shot, but he also had a Kadett that shot great. Problem is, the Kadett was made less than two years and are really hard to find. All of these rifles use the small Anschutz action, smaller than a 64. One thing about them, they will hold their value, so my inclination would be to buy it and shoot it... if you decide you don't like it, you'll get your money back.

Carl:
I am a FFL in Kansas and can right now get from Bill Hicks a brand new CZ 452 Silhouette Model for 319. In your opinion would this be the better buy? I think the 1450 would cost me 375. Which is the better value in your opinion? TIA

Countryman

PS I see you are from Kansas. Where do you live man? I live close to Kinsley.

Edited by Countryman, 02 October 2008 - 12:44 PM.

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

I think I'd go with the CZ as a shooter and the Annie as a collector. What else do you shoot? In your area you have to own a shotgun.... I think it's the law, isn't it? biggrin.gif

I'm about 85 miles east of you on Highway 50... I was through Kinsley a few weeks back, delivering a van to a couple in Lakin that had seen it on our website and bought it.... man, that was the middle of nowhere laugh.gif .

Patrick Henry

#5 Countryman

Countryman

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Oct 2 2008, 02:35 PM) View Post

I think I'd go with the CZ as a shooter and the Annie as a collector. What else do you shoot? In your area you have to own a shotgun.... I think it's the law, isn't it? biggrin.gif

I'm about 85 miles east of you on Highway 50... I was through Kinsley a few weeks back, delivering a van to a couple in Lakin that had seen it on our website and bought it.... man, that was the middle of nowhere laugh.gif .

I shoot a BT99 Micro at the Kinsley Trap Club. Our club is the oldest in Kansas founded in 1906. I just had the stock on my little micro worked on this past week. Sent if off to Graco Corp. in Gravette Ak. They do all the factory work for Browning on say the Browning Golden Clays and stuff. They installed a recoil reduction system and an adjustable comb. Took it to the club last night and god it was sweet. I got so many rifles it would take me a week to describe them all. Something like 55 and counting. Got 6 or 7 annies. Just bought a couple Savage target actions for a couple rifle builds I am going to do. One will be in my fave caliber .220 Swift, or a swiftie as I call em. The other one I ain't sure yet. I may make a super sweet sporter out of it. BUT I don't have a CZ. Well actually I do now as I just ordered the last 527 Silhouette that Williams had today, along with a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Gonna use it for deer although I got 3 other .308's. Haven't been buck stomping for a few years but got a new dog who loves to chew on bambi bones so I'm gonna get him some. Besides the deer are so thick I gotta kick em out of my garden. Sounds like you are around Salina somewhere or north of Hutch. And yea it is desolate around here but that's the way I like it man. I got two private rifle ranges on my land here and shoot almost every day something. Oh btw my favorite rimfire rifle is a .22 H&R M12 that I got from the CMP. I call her the fly shooter because she can shoot flies at 50 yds. I got a pic you can see here:

http://bp2.blogger.c...-h/IMGP1450.JPG

That's a 36X FM fine crosshair scope on her in case you're wondering how I seen a fly at 50 yds.

And here's the kind of bucks we got:

http://bp3.blogger.c...-h/DCP00353.JPG

That's a neighbor of mine with that buck. It was really nice. Here's a nice buck I got that same year:

http://photos1.blogg...91/DCP00331.jpg

That was a killer brute dog named Boy but he had a stroke couple weeks back and I had to put him down. He saved my neck more than once too. See ya.

Countryman

Edited by Countryman, 02 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#6 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Countryman @ Oct 2 2008, 05:20 PM) View Post

I shoot a BT99 Micro at the Kinsley Trap Club. Our club is the oldest in Kansas founded in 1906. I just had the stock on my little micro worked on this past week. Sent if off to Graco Corp. in Gravette Ak. They do all the factory work for Browning on say the Browning Golden Clays and stuff. They installed a recoil reduction system and an adjustable comb. Took it to the club last night and god it was sweet. I got so many rifles it would take me a week to describe them all. Something like 55 and counting. Got 6 or 7 annies. Just bought a couple Savage target actions for a couple rifle builts I am going to do. One will be in my fave caliber .220 Swift, or a swiftie as I call em. The other one I ain't sure yet. I may make a super sweet sporter out of it. BUT I don't have a CZ. Well actually I do now as I just ordered the last 527 Silhouette that Williams had today, along with a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Gonna use it for deer although I got 3 other .308's. Haven't been buck stomping for a few years but got a new dog who loves to chew on bambi bones so I'm gonna get him some. Besides the deer are so thick I gotta kick em out of my garden. Sounds like you are around Salina somewhere or north of Hutch. And yea it is desolate around here but that's the way I like it man. I got two private rifle ranges on my land here and shoot almost every day something. Oh btw my favorite rimfire rifle is a .22 H&R M12 that I got from the CMP. I call her the fly shooter because she can shoot flies at 50 yds. I got a pic you can see here:

http://bp2.blogger.c...-h/IMGP1450.JPG

That's a 36X FM fine crosshair scope on her in case you're wondering how I seen a fly at 50 yds.

And here's the kind of bucks we got:

http://bp3.blogger.c...-h/DCP00353.JPG

That's a neighbor of mine with that buck. It was really nice. Here's a nice buck I got that same year:

http://photos1.blogg...91/DCP00331.jpg

That was a killer brute dog named Boy but he had a stroke couple weeks back and I had to put him down. He saved my neck more than once too. See ya.

Countryman

That is a good looking Model 12. Welcome to the site. I have a Model 12 Savage in 220 Swift with a Tracker stock. Don't shoot it much since I have gotten into rimfires so heavy. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#7 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(Countryman @ Oct 2 2008, 05:20 PM) View Post

Countryman

Sorry about Boy; that hurts. Welcome to the site.

Mark

#8 Countryman

Countryman

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Mark:
Well the story goes like this. See that buck in that pic I posted? Well I was going to pick him up, riding on an old garden tractor pulling a red cart. Boy like always was out in front cruising back n forth as I went. Well all of a sudden I seen Boy go in front of me but he now was below ground level! I slammed on the brakes of that old garden tractor and came to rest with my front wheels over the edge of what was a big crack, a water drainage crack, but anyways about 6 ft. wide and quite deep. If ol' Boy wouldn't of been a cruisin' I would of for sure wrecked and got injured, probably seriously, when I would of got thrown into the other side after my garden tractor took the big plunge. Yup a good dog is a wonderful friend indeed.

Countryman

Edited by Countryman, 02 October 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#9 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

Tough to loose a good dog... been there and done that a few times myself.

And speaking of Model 12s... gave up hunting several years back, but trying to get our club to upgrade or replace our trap machine so I can get my Winchester Model 12 out and blow the dust out of the barrel.

I call myself a "Remington collector wannabee".... just don't have enough to be a full fledged collector. Funny thing though, I don't own a single Remington shotgun. I think I'm right at about 40 guns with about 1/2 being Remington rifles... list is in here somewhere... http://rimfireshooti...topic=2475&st=0

Patrick Henry

#10 Countryman

Countryman

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

Carl:
I got a Remington Model 58 that I bought as a kid and a Remington 1100 Trap gun (30" barrel) I got in 2003. Paid 40 bucks for the 58. A couple years ago I bought a new barrel for it and it cost me 150! lol But it is a real nice one, as the original always had a small ding in it when some fool slammed it in a car door. The original also had a plain barrel whereas the new one has a nice rib on it and is ported. The trap gun of mine is for sale if you're interested. I bought it brand new and only put probably 500 rounds through it. It has a very pretty stock with lots of marbling on it too. It was a little too long for me though so I put an after market synthetic stock and forearm on it which would go with the gun. It's actually very nice in super condition. I think I even got some fancy extender tubes for it from a guy at the club. I like it but I have no use for it really. It's just safe space taker. Heck I might even go for a swap. Got any 700 BDL's or 40X's?

PS Need a nice over under? I got a couple brand new Lanber 30" sporting clay models with 5 tubes and they carry a lifetime warranty (how rare is that today?). Bought a bunch of them couple years ago when they were on sale. In fact this is the gun that I started shooting after I decided the Remington was too long for me even with the different stock. I shot this gun (except that mine only had a 28" barrel) at the trap club for the first two year after I joined (05-06 seasons). Put over 4000 rounds through it without any discernible wear with absolutely no hitches. I never even changed the tubes and just used it as it came from the factory. These are nice guns for the money. Also would make a great field gun for pheasant if you don't want to shoot trap with it. Oh they got nickel receivers and nice engraving too I forgot to mention. Oh and selectable barrels. And best of all is the price. Super. If interested let me know.

Edited by Countryman, 03 October 2008 - 07:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users