52 replies to this topic

#1 Scott

Scott

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Anyone out there have one? How exactly does it work and how do you like the results? TIA.

#2 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

I like mine, I've had it for about 6 months. You get the Die, shell holder and 2 punches that go in the die. One for hollow points and one target that puts a nose on the bullet like the Eley EPS ammo.

you use the die in a reloading press so you get the same sizing for each round.

Here is a link to my photos of the die and ammo. Ammo sized in this die improved my groups by apprx. 30%.

http://smg.photobuck.....20sizing die/

#3 Scott

Scott

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

So you run a round through the die just as you would with a centerfire? Any risk of one going off when doing it? How much force does it take to re-form the bullets? How much lube does it take off of the bullets? Thanks.

#4 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

It doesn't take much force to do the sizing, a lot less than sizing a 45ACP. The round fits in the shell holder so no chance of it going off.

Doesn't seem to take off much lube at all. Dry lube type ammo like eley or fiochhi no problem. but gooey lube like on Wolf MT gums up the die a little. when i size wolf I'll clean the die after about 200 rounds with a patch and hoppes #9 solvent.

#5 Unruely

Unruely

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:36 AM

It doesn't take much force to do the sizing, a lot less than sizing a 45ACP. The round fits in the shell holder so no chance of it going off.

Doesn't seem to take off much lube at all. Dry lube type ammo like eley or fiochhi no problem. but gooey lube like on Wolf MT gums up the die a little. when i size wolf I'll clean the die after about 200 rounds with a patch and hoppes #9 solvent.

Where can one purchase on of these??

Martin

#6 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

No web site you have to email Neil.

Here is his info.

Neal B Waltz
waltzATsssnet.com AT=@
[size=4]

#7 JJB

JJB

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

i've never heard of this tool but i do have the paco kelly tool that resizes a rimfire bullet and opens up the hollow point.. i have used it on some wildcats and the group shrank to half the size.. so the sizeing works good i'm guessing....

#8 38super

38super

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Steel Challenge (CF/RF)<br />IPSC/USPSA<br />3 Gun<br />Airguns (BR, Silhouette)<br />Home Machining

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

recumbent,

Die has a 'seating' adjustment, is there instructions with the die or did you find a seating length that was an improvement?

#9 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

recumbent,

Die has a 'seating' adjustment, is there instructions with the die or did you find a seating length that was an improvement?

The die does not come with instructions, It comes with 2 sized rounds, one Hp and one target point. It is adjustable on how much of the bullet gets sized.

I set mine up with the ammo supplied works great.

Then I experimented with different amounts of sizing, you are only sizing on the bullet.

The sized ammo doesn't work very well in a semi auto, but works great in bolt actions or revolvers or a T/C pistol.

When sizing greasy ammo like Wolf about every 150 rounds I stop and clean the die.

Bob

#10 38super

38super

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Steel Challenge (CF/RF)<br />IPSC/USPSA<br />3 Gun<br />Airguns (BR, Silhouette)<br />Home Machining

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Did you measure before and after diameters?

#11 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Did you measure before and after diameters?

I did when I first got it but didn't keep the data.

i can do it again and post the measurements.

#12 recumbent

recumbent

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Here are my B4 and after measurements with 2 kinds of ammo.

Using the hollow point rod.

SK Subsonic Hollow Points
B4 sizing OAL = .9715 Bullet dia. .221
After sizing OAL = .9610 Bullet dia. .223

Using the target rod leaves the nose looking like Eley EPS bullet
Fiocchi SM 320 round nose
B4 sizing OAL=.974 Bullet dia. .220
After sizing OAL=.934 Bullet dia. .223

I measured the OAL from the base of the case to the top of the bullet next to the EPS tip for the after sizing measurement.

Bob

#13 Paul

Paul

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Mr. Waltz sent a e mail with basic instructions plus some picture examples before I ordered. He also sent along a sample with the die.

The die is a quality tool, not at all over priced for what you are getting.

If your going to want to have repeatable results, this is the tool.

I enjoy mine......everything from making my hollowpoint ammunition for hunting (at lower cost and better accuracy) to improving my match ammunition. Most of what I have read indicates a general approx across the board accuracy improvement in the range of 25 ish or slightly more percent.

Of course, your tuning more than one variable so don't expect to simply pick a setting and start making improved ammo which will automatically show improvement. You need to do some testing....fine tune the die adjustments according to what your target shows, measure your oal die length as set, and your good to go. The die over all length measurement with dial calipers will let you repeat that die setting in the future, if you simply record that length.

Would I get the tool again,,,,,,you bet.

Paul

#14 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

How much?

#15 doubs43

doubs43

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

I've just gotten mine. The set was $125 plus $10 for Priority Mail. I won't have a chance to make it to the range until next week but I've already prepared 100 hollow points and 350 Eley-style points. The bullets all come from the die a very consistent .2245".

Mr. Waltz sent me two pictures that I've combined. You can see the set plus a target and examples of the finished cartridges.

IPB Image

#16 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

Anyone like to rent their Waltz 22 die?

#17 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(langenc @ Jul 31 2008, 03:48 PM) View Post

Anyone like to rent their Waltz 22 die?

No renters-come on!!

#18 750k2

750k2

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

The email address has me wigged out???

PM'd recumbent
Beat head on desk.gif

#19 Paul

Paul

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

Beg to differ about the Waltz die treated ammo not working in a semi auto.

I would also like to differ on the description of what the die does. It is not a resizing die, rather a bullet reforming die or, bullet bump die.

The degree to which it provides ammo that will work in your semi auto depends primarily on the chamber dimensions and the degree to which you reform the bullet nose AND OR bump up the bullet diameter.

I adjust the amount I treat a particular batch of rounds to the chamber I am using it in. Match chambers more picky and difficult to get to feed the bumped bullet ammo. Factory chamber much easier to feed. I use dial calipers to measure the overall die length to record the setting for the particular gun.

One of my most accurate 10/22's is now fed the Waltz treated ammunition, AND it's running a factory bull barrel !

I have only bothered to run treated ammo in one of my bolt guns and all the rest has been through my so called custom 10/22's.

By the by, the slickest tool to let you work on your ammo is the Lee hand press. runs around $25.00 and you can sit in front of the television with your tupperware containers, and do ammunition to your hearts content. A good average length movie yields a medium size tub of tupperware full of treated ammunition biggrin.gif no reason or need to be hunched over a single stage press when you can work the ammunition in the convenience of your favorite chair (old guy stuff). Bumping the bullets with the Waltz die, does not require much force and the Lee hand press if perfect for that.

Paul

#20 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Squirrel hunting.<br />Pastor of Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Tuscumbia, Al.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

I have one coming, ETA wed 1/7. I have a Lee hand press and plan to carry it to the range for experimentation. Two rifles: Ruger 10-22 heavy barrel & Savage Mk.II. 10-22 chamber may be too tight to benefit but will try.
Later will work up for T/C Contender and Ruger MKII pistols.
Anyone have any experience in addition to those posted? Any will be appreciated.
God bless & good shooting,
Danny

#21 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Squirrel hunting.<br />Pastor of Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Tuscumbia, Al.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

Range test wednesday with 10-22. CCI Mini-Mag 9/16" group at 50 yds. Bullets sized to .225, had 2 failure to feed but none in the 5-shot string mentioned. Reset die to .224. Cleane chamber and stripped & cleaned magazines. Will retest. Looking for good, accurate ammo for groundhogging out to about 75 yds. Win. Super-x doesn't do so good; scattered groups unsized, when sized was worse. Some jackets cracked at .225 sizing. None of this with CCI.
Working with CCI standard also, but thing the G-hogs may need extra energy.
Will let ya'll know how it goes. Any recommendations or comments?
Danny

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 4 2009, 03:48 PM) View Post

I have one coming, ETA wed 1/7. I have a Lee hand press and plan to carry it to the range for experimentation. Two rifles: Ruger 10-22 heavy barrel & Savage Mk.II. 10-22 chamber may be too tight to benefit but will try.
Anyone have any experience in addition to those posted? Any will be appreciated.
Danny

#22 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 17 2009, 08:21 AM) View Post

Range test wednesday with 10-22. CCI Mini-Mag 9/16" group at 50 yds. Bullets sized to .225, had 2 failure to feed but none in the 5-shot string mentioned. Reset die to .224. Cleane chamber and stripped & cleaned magazines. Will retest. Looking for good, accurate ammo for groundhogging out to about 75 yds. Win. Super-x doesn't do so good; scattered groups unsized, when sized was worse. Some jackets cracked at .225 sizing. None of this with CCI.
Working with CCI standard also, but thing the G-hogs may need extra energy.
Will let ya'll know how it goes. Any recommendations or comments?
Danny

Just returned from range. No malfunctions to Mini-Mags resized to .224, 10 shot group 50 yds. 11/16". A couple of fliers included in this measurement which may have been from the loose nut at the rear of the stock(!). I then got bold & adjusted the sizer back to .225. Fired a 5-shot 7/8" group at 75 yds. 10 more rounds fired at shotgun hulls at 75 with 2 misses.

I'll of course do more tests, but at the present I consider the weapon ready for spring g-hogs out to 75. I know that they are tough, but the beauty of a semi-auto is repeated well-aimed shots. Although placement of the first is most important.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this. I thank God for the privilege of being a His child, a hunter, and a shooter; of course there are many more blessings.

Danny

#23 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 17 2009, 01:37 PM) View Post

Just returned from range. No malfunctions to Mini-Mags resized to .224, 10 shot group 50 yds. 11/16". A couple of fliers included in this measurement which may have been from the loose nut at the rear of the stock(!). I then got bold & adjusted the sizer back to .225. Fired a 5-shot 7/8" group at 75 yds. 10 more rounds fired at shotgun hulls at 75 with 2 misses.

I'll of course do more tests, but at the present I consider the weapon ready for spring g-hogs out to 75. I know that they are tough, but the beauty of a semi-auto is repeated well-aimed shots. Although placement of the first is most important.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this. I thank God for the privilege of being a His child, a hunter, and a shooter; of course there are many more blessings.

Danny

Hi Danny , I would sure like to get a look at that Die sometimes.

Thanks

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#24 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ Jan 17 2009, 07:36 PM) View Post

Keep in touch; I'm up in the Shoals area often since I pastor a church nw of Tuscumbia.
May God grant you abundant blessings.
Danny

Hi Danny , I would sure like to get a look at that Die sometimes.

Thanks

Dwight

#25 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

This is not a shameless plug for my ammo supporter but yesterday 1 of the club members has a new sizing die and was trying to figure out what the best size would be. After mic-ing several brands and types the only one's that was in the tolerance range he was looking for was Eley EPS and Target both were .221 in the case and .223 at the projectile. This size is still tight in my 40X after tapering the chamber but it seems to be the size that has the best performance, but cold weather and heavy lube might be the culprit there. So in my opinion why buy a sizing die and spend hours resizing ammo that might or might not work as desired when you can just buy Eley Target or EPS, it might be a few $$$ more up front but time and performance will be worth it. However EPS will not feed reliably in a semi auto or a clip fed bolt gun. Just my $0.02.

#26 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

With the high quality of Eley I doubt that resizing would help. Neal Waltz, the designer / manufacturer, recommends it's use on Wolf. I cannot address this since I have never used Wolf. My goal is to enhance accuracy for hunting and early tests look promising.
God bless and good shooting,
Danny

#27 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,538 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 18 2009, 03:23 PM) View Post
With the high quality of Eley I doubt that resizing would help. Neal Waltz, the designer / manufacturer, recommends it's use on Wolf. I cannot address this since I have never used Wolf. My goal is to enhance accuracy for hunting and early tests look promising.
Danny

Hey Danny , if we get to meet sometimes I will give you a box of Wolf MT to try it on and give us a report.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

#28 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 18 2009, 03:23 PM) View Post

Danny

Oh ok my bad, I thought you were gona use it for competition. I am not a hunter since I was a kid, so I am not too up on hunting anymore and it shows in my CMP scores. I was only a prone shooter in ROTC/JROTC because I have never been much of an "off hand shooter", when I go to my land down in Lamar county I set up prone and wait 30-45 min shoot a deer then go home (not really "hunting", I don't even wear camo biggrin.gif ). Even when coon hunting when I was 17-21 yo. I would never shoot them just run and tree for competition sport practice, so no trigger time there. I would like to see you or some one come up with an idea that would work great and then refine it even more for competition. I would be first in line to buy one because the new generation factory stuff like the old Super X and Lightning rounds are not even close to what they once were. I know these companies get 1000's of complaints on this problem, and why did they change what worked. I can't even find a decent 50yd. silhouette round, I know folks that spend $5.00+ per rifle in ammo to shoot at steel animals. I just don't get it, maybe the same "new technology" that destroyed the accuracy for production will catch up to its self and make for some laser accurate ammo in the future or at least like the old stuff. If I could get sizer that would go down to .221-.223 and my try lube. "T"

#29 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:00 AM

I believe that is definitly called hunting; so many are the people who lack the patience to sit for an hour or even less. A hunter is , by nature, one who possesses patience. I am primarily a squirrel hunter; sitting or stalking silently for this elusive game is a joy few outside the sport can undestand. Also, I was a Highpower competitor for many years.
I have a lot of experimenting yet to do, but that is part of the fun. Present goal is to get maximum accuracy out of a round potent enough to take down a g-hog & still cycle the action. Have tried the CCI standard vel.; accuracy good but some difficulty cycling. More work to come on this. It would be nice to have a round that will not go sub-sonic as the M-M will. A trade-off.
Regarding Eley: I have a few hundred rounds of old Tenex left & the Savage MK II really likes it. It even shoots the Eley blue-box pistol well out to 100 yds. It's a lot of fun to take a 1000-yd. reduced target at 100 and read wind / mirage in order to get a hit. Reminiscent of my old highpower days.
Danny
QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Jan 18 2009, 09:55 PM) View Post

Oh ok my bad, I thought you were gona use it for competition. I am not a hunter since I was a kid, so I am not too up on hunting anymore and it shows in my CMP scores. I was only a prone shooter in ROTC/JROTC because I have never been much of an "off hand shooter", when I go to my land down in Lamar county I set up prone and wait 30-45 min shoot a deer then go home (not really "hunting", I don't even wear camo biggrin.gif ). Even when coon hunting when I was 17-21 yo. I would never shoot them just run and tree for competition sport practice, so no trigger time there. I would like to see you or some one come up with an idea that would work great and then refine it even more for competition. I would be first in line to buy one because the new generation factory stuff like the old Super X and Lightning rounds are not even close to what they once were. I know these companies get 1000's of complaints on this problem, and why did they change what worked. I can't even find a decent 50yd. silhouette round, I know folks that spend $5.00+ per rifle in ammo to shoot at steel animals. I just don't get it, maybe the same "new technology" that destroyed the accuracy for production will catch up to its self and make for some laser accurate ammo in the future or at least like the old stuff. If I could get sizer that would go down to .221-.223 and my try lube. "T"

#30 Rimfire Kid

Rimfire Kid

Legendary Shooter

• Administrators
  • 949 posts
  • Interests:small bore silhouette, air rifle silhouette, and field target

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I can't even find a decent 50yd. silhouette round, I know folks that spend $5.00+ per rifle in ammo to shoot at steel animals.

Tony Q.C.I.S.: What do you call a decent 50 yard silhouette round?

What type of silhouette are you shooting at 50 yards?

I am shooting a CZ American with Wolf Match Target ammo for my hunter class rifle.

I am using a Sako P94S Finnfire Range with SK Standard Plus ammo for my Heavy class rifle.

It is not uncommon to get 5 shots in a 1 inch group at 100 yards with both rifles. That is not every group that I shoot. These groups are shot from the bench.

#31 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ Jan 18 2009, 04:06 PM) View Post

Hey Danny , if we get to meet sometimes I will give you a box of Wolf MT to try it on and give us a report.

Dwight

Thanks. I'd like to try Wolf. is there a local distributer in the Shoals area?
Danny

#32 cagoat

cagoat

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

"However EPS will not feed reliably in a semi auto"

My AMT SA works great with EPS, but will not feed the round nose black box Eley

Dale

#33 Paul

Paul

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

Russ762

My ground squirrel combination is the Waltz treated CCI Blazer ammo. Shooting is in open fields and ranges often exceed 100 yds. I have three 10/22 tack drivers w/Kidd barrels and triggers etc., but the Waltz treated Blazer ammo in my restocked Ruger factory hammer forged twisted barrel, shoots right with them, with it's factory chamber (and Kidd trigger) ... go figure... glare.gif

So the Ruger with factory bull barrel and the Blazer is my gun of choice for the ground squirrels.

By the by, the Blazer ammo is not accurate in the same gun, till I work the ammo over with the Waltz hollow point die.....then ...it shoots !

I haven't tried any other CCI ammo to treat with the Waltz die (for ground squirrel)....just simply no need to....accuracy doesn't get any better so I stopped looking. Performance on the ground squirrels is pretty good. Not quite as good the Winchester high velocity Power Point ammo, but very close. Loud thwack when hit and they are done.

Paul

#34 russ762

russ762

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Thanks, Paul. I have never fired blazers; will have to try.
The only problem I have encountered is the bolt not closing completely when released manually. Simple cure: I remember to push forward with thumb to ensure full closure. Works every time. Auto feed is good.
I have a lot of experimenting yet to do, but the Waltz-treated Mini-Mags perform well enough for spring groundhogs.
Danny R.

#35 kenboom

kenboom

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(russ762 @ Jan 4 2009, 03:48 PM) View Post

Danny

I have the Paco Kelly and the Waltz Die. I had the P.K. Tool first and had good luck with it except it was not too consistent in sizing dimentions. I got the Waltz die and it works well and is very consistent also. I am thinking about cutting the P.K. rods down to fit in the Waltz die which will give me more choices of bullet shape and more hours of testing fun and brain trauma. I used the ELEY Match EPS bullet to get the correct measurements and then set the waltz to those exact measurements. IMHO calipers are not good enough for that operation so I use a micrometer. I have many different types of ammo to re-size and test but I am retired and have time to experiment. I only have one rifle - a CZ 453 Varmint with a set trigger. Its a tack driver and will be a good one to do the testing with. If any of you have any suggetions as to the testing, let me know. Ken

Edited by kenboom, 12 April 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#36 Dust

Dust

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:guns, cars, bikes.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(kenboom @ Apr 13 2009, 10:43 AM) View Post

I have the Paco Kelly and the Waltz Die. I had the P.K. Tool first and had good luck with it except it was not too consistent in sizing dimentions. I got the Waltz die and it works well and is very consistent also. I am thinking about cutting the P.K. rods down to fit in the Waltz die which will give me more choices of bullet shape and more hours of testing fun and brain trauma. I used the ELEY Match EPS bullet to get the correct measurements and then set the waltz to those exact measurements. IMHO calipers are not good enough for that operation so I use a micrometer. I have many different types of ammo to re-size and test but I am retired and have time to experiment. I only have one rifle - a CZ 453 Varmint with a set trigger. Its a tack driver and will be a good one to do the testing with. If any of you have any suggetions as to the testing, let me know. Ken

I wanted to ask you to do this, because it seems that Paco Kelly has the choices, and the Waltz has the repeatability. A combo of both shoul be very nice. Like to know how it works

#37 soldiers8421

soldiers8421

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire Precision shooting.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

torch.gif Hello I am new to the site and would like to know if waltz is still in business. Is there an alternative email address that anyone would know of.... I emailed the address given and still have not had a reply. I like the idea of making ammo similar to Eley target at a fraction of the price.I am not sure that I could make exact sized replicas with the paco die so would dearly like to try the waltz. If anybody can help please let me know. Thanks Steve

#38 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

FYI, There's a guy over on RFC that's making a different version of the Paco tool. It appears that the main difference is the material used for the punches and the tool comes with a lock ring that attaches to the punch for repeatability. However, I'm still not sure about whacking the tool with a loaded round inside. Although, it looks like it can possibly be used with an arbor press which may be a better way to go for consistency and I happen to have one. I may have to consider one of these tools (Paco, Waltz, or this new one) since I really enjoy tinkering and testing but am not currently shooting and developing loads for my centerfires.

New RF Sizing Tool
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#39 soldiers8421

soldiers8421

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire Precision shooting.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Many thanks for the info re RFC joined that blog and have orded one of the dies to try out. I got a reply from Neal Waltz seems that his die is so popular he is working hard on a new batch should be ready in some 3 -4 weeks, awaiting completion and will also try out this. I do like the idea of trying to replicate eley target at a fraction of the price. Would like to see what they do in my Martini target rifle. torch.gif

#40 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,538 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(soldiers8421 @ May 13 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
Many thanks for the info re RFC joined that blog and have orded one of the dies to try out. I got a reply from Neal Waltz seems that his die is so popular he is working hard on a new batch should be ready in some 3 -4 weeks, awaiting completion and will also try out this. I do like the idea of trying to replicate eley target at a fraction of the price. Would like to see what they do in my Martini target rifle. torch.gif

Ask him to please join us here and become a member biggrin.gif

#41 Marine Sgt 2111

Marine Sgt 2111

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Shooting of all sorts, casting bullets, reloading, farming, working with my horses and enjoying retirement.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

I bought one of the "Waltz" dies...and have made up federals with both tips, win t-22 with both tips and wolf match with both tips. As soon as it stops raining around here and dries out a bit, I will test them out. Nice quality put in to the die and parts. biggrin.gif

Edited by Marine Sgt 2111, 20 June 2009 - 09:28 PM.

Dwight

Sight alignment, sight picture
inhale, let half of it out and hold
Squeeze...............bullseye

#42 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:19 AM

Keep us informed on your results. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#43 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(Rimfire Kid @ Jan 20 2009, 09:53 PM) View Post

Tony Q.C.I.S.: What do you call a decent 50 yard silhouette round?

What type of silhouette are you shooting at 50 yards?

It is not uncommon to get 5 shots in a 1 inch group at 100 yards with both rifles. That is not every group that I shoot. These groups are shot from the bench.

Sorry so long, I missed your post until today.
A decent 50yd round, I want ammo that will shoot sub 3/4" groups at 50yds. I am not a great silhouette/off hand shooter, so I need all the help I can get.

We shoot 2 club level silhouette matches every month, it is 25/50/, 25/25 = 25 NRA small animals @ 50 yds rifle and the same with pistols except @ 25yds .

I need a USBR round that will hold without question 5 rounds 1 hole (not perfect but sub 1/4") at 50yds and I need a 100yd round that will hold 1/2" off a bipod and feed reliably in my Savage MKII BV for our "Raptor Match". I shoot Eley Match EPS and some times Tenx (if it shot better than Match black box I would shoot it more) in USBR and Club in CMP and the Raptor Match. My CZ American and Savage love Eley Club @ 50 and 100yds, my 40X loves (1071 fps off machine 1) Match over Tenex and my SUHL likes slower Tenex over Match. It is a strange thing finding the perfect ammo, almost impossible. I did find a speed (1071fps) that will out shoot everything else I have tried and that is a lot. 25-30 lots and speeds in a little over a year to find ammo my USBR Rifles love, like won

#44 college

college

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Bench Rest shooting
    Reloading
    Wood working

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

I have had my Waltz for about a year. It makes to Wolf ammo shooter slightly tighter groups. I have a feeling that it cuts down on "fliers" but that is difficult to quantify. I also use it on Eley Black and Red (old Red which was the round nose) and I believe it improves them a little. With the Eley you have to take the Die apart to clean the wax.
It is a simple too to use. The weight of the handle on my RCBS is almost enough pressure to reform the top of the bullet. Mine came with detailed instructions.
College

#45 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

[Anyone have a Waltz die they have tired of or didnt meet their expectations that they want to get rid of??

#46 Marine Sgt 2111

Marine Sgt 2111

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Shooting of all sorts, casting bullets, reloading, farming, working with my horses and enjoying retirement.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Since I am having trouble posting the results, I will try again later.

Edited by Marine Sgt 2111, 20 August 2009 - 09:18 PM.

Dwight

#47 Okiepawpaw

Okiepawpaw

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

Anyone out there have one? How exactly does it work and how do you like the results? TIA.

#48 Okiepawpaw

Okiepawpaw

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have a Waltz 22 sizing die i have been playing with for a couple of months.
My .22 semi-automatic does not like the ammo that has been bumped up.
I will take $100.00 and I will pay shipping to anyone who would like to try one.
send me an Email at pawpaw@msbit.net Postal money order please.
Bob SOLD SOLD SOLD

Thanks
Bob

SOLD SOLD

Edited by Okiepawpaw, 01 October 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#49 al redneck

al redneck

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:long range shooting , my family, and the Bible

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have been looking for info on ammo run through the Waltz die for a long time. I finally bought a used Waltz die a week ago. I am using a CZ 452 Varmint that is pillar and glass bedded with a Vortex Razor scope. I shot 10 groups of 5 rds from the same lot of Wolf Match Target ammo. 10 groups untouched, ave.- .647 : 10 groups after Waltz die- .512 . These groups were shot off bipod with rear bag at 50 yds. If my math is right about 21% reduction in group size. I only shot 2 groups each at 100 yds. Ave 1.39" untouched Wolf MT, 1.035 after running through Waltz die. Abot 25% reduction at 100 yds. The number of groups shot at 100 was small but the reduction in group size is close to what I saw at 50 yds. I have tried many brands and the best grouping of any ammo was with the one brand of ammo I tried using the Waltz die. 50yd averages : Wolf ME- .583, Eley Target- .613, RWS Match Rifle- .547, Eley Match Rifle ( black box)- .56, Wolf MT after Waltz- .512. At 100 yds only 1 brand did better, RWS Match rifle- .988 for 3 groups. I wipe off the tip of each bullet on a paper towel and clean die every 25 rds because the lube builds up so quickly inside the die. I did not experiment, I just set the die up to give approximate .135 flat on the end of the bullet, like Mr Waltz recommends. Hope this info helps someone out.

david

Edited by al redneck, 04 October 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#50 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,538 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hey Al , Big RFS Welcome

A great post with real hands on testing.

Dwight

#51 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

Couldn't find a renter but did find someone wanting to sell.

I only get 0.224 plus a little with a dimple of 0.135 or more w/ SK Match ammo.

Have not been able to give the 'Waltzed' ammo a good test run.

#52 Marine Sgt 2111

Marine Sgt 2111

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

I have been using Federal 38Gr HP's that were opened up about as much as is possible with my Waltz die, on coons in the barn. One shot stops from a Colt New Frontier, 4 5/8" barrel. I shot some RWS subsonics into plastic milk jugs filled with water, that had been modified to the same HP extreme. They opened up to between .407 - .410" diameter at 25 yds. The modified RWS bullets went through the first milk jug and stopped in the second. The slugs shot into those ringtailed bandits did not exit them and they were shot at about 20 feet.
Dwight

#53 hillbilly grandpa

hillbilly grandpa

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm late to the party on this thread. Does anyone have current contact info for Waltz? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users