4 replies to this topic

#1 Stillwater

Stillwater

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

This is a partial copy of a post that I made on another thread, in this forum. I'm posting it here because I want to find out it there are any owners of the Varner Favorite[i], a reiteration of the Old Stevens Favorite single shot rifle...

For several years I saw pictures of, and read about, a reiteration of the Stevens Favorite single shot rifle. This rifle was made by a company, in Marietta, Georgia, named Varner Sporting Arms Inc. and the model is the Favorite. I finally found one on the rack in a local gunshop. It took me all of five seconds to buy it. The price I paid was $299.00. I would have paid twice that amount, for this rifle.

This little rifle exudes quality, every which way you look at it. It looks like this rifle is made better than the high grade original Stevens. If I get the time, and the discretionary dollars, I will have this rifle engraved and casehardened as the original high grade Stevens Favorites were.

The test target that came with the rifle, has five shots touching each other.

I would be interested in hearing from other Varner rifle owners, if someone out here owns one of these fine rifles.

Bill

#2 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

I once owned a Stevens Favorite octagon barreled long rifle.It was a nice rifle,a couple of years ago a fellow with two Varners,one long rifle,the other 22 magnum and I were doing internet business back and forth which would have resulted in my buying them both but for a communication snafu.Not his fault or mine.They are interesting rifles,that's as much as I know,we had negotiated to $345 each shipped when we lost each other.Kizo

#3 Stillwater

Stillwater

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

I once owned a Stevens Favorite octagon barreled long rifle.It was a nice rifle,a couple of years ago a fellow with two Varners,one long rifle,the other 22 magnum and I were doing internet business back and forth which would have resulted in my buying them both but for a communication snafu.Not his fault or mine.They are interesting rifles,that's as much as I know,we had negotiated to $345 each shipped when we lost each other.Kizo

Those rifles in good condition were certainly worth $345.00 each. I would have snapped at that deal myself. It's too bad you ran into a snafu.

If you hear of any more Varners available, and you don't want the rifle, let me know please...!

I would REALLY like to have a VARNER in 22 Magnum...!

Bill

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

According to the Blue Book, these were only produced in 1988 and '89, is that right? Or has someone else taken up manufacturing them? Looks to me, like with the interest in .22 rifles these days, it would be a hot ticket today....look what Ballard is doing with their rifles.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#5 Stillwater

Stillwater

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

According to the Blue Book, these were only produced in 1988 and '89, is that right? Or has someone else taken up manufacturing them? Looks to me, like with the interest in .22 rifles these days, it would be a hot ticket today....look what Ballard is doing with their rifles.

http://www.thehawkenshop.com/

http://www.varnerguns.com/

I know that one of the links above, says the Hawken shop, and that is quiet a story in itself...

These people bought the ORIGINAL HAWKEN RIFLE MANUFACTURING FACILITY, from the last owner of the entity. This is the shop that produced the famous Hawken muzzle loading rifles.

Then, they bought the assets of the Varner Sporting Arms Company. And then they ran into trouble...

It took them two years, according to them, to get their ordered stocks and barrels, delivered to them. They now have 200 stocks and 200 barrels and are starting into production now. Again, according to them.

If you call them on the phone, the lady that answers the phone, is one of the owners, and she is a delight to talk to.

Visit the web site posted above, and look at some of the Varner and Hawken rifle pictures. It is a pretty nice Web Site...

And, I want a 22 Magnum Varner rifle...

Bill

Edited by Stillwater, 10 August 2007 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users