• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

A few days ago I was researching something and came across a thread talking about shallow rifling... As best as I can recall a fella had bought a gun and liked it very much but when he inspected the bore-which perfect and mirror bright-he noticed that the rifling was shallow.  His question to he forum was whether or not this mattered greatly?  Among the answers was one that said (I'm doing this from memory) that if the gun was being shot with high velocity ammo(.22) then the shallow rifling was not only not a problem but was actually an advantage. This comment got no push back and seemed to have been accepted without demur. 

Anybody know if this is, in fact, the case?

#2 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Marlin liked it, remember "microgroove rifling"?

jaia...just another interested amateur

#3 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

Marlin liked it, remember "microgroove rifling"?

No, I don't know that term.  What's that?

#4 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,345 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

No, I don't know that term.  What's that?

Noob, it means that there are many lands and grooves(up to 16) instead of the usual 4 or 6..They are also cut shallower..Marlin has been famous for their "micro grooved" barrels for a long time..I have had several and they have been super accurate..I do know that the number of grooves has not proven to be the "holy grail" for accuracy..The 03-A3 Springfield at one time was produced with only 2 grooves for manufacturing expediency and was considered just as accurate as the 4 groove. Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#5 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

Good article

http://www.leverguns...ove-barrels.htm

jaia...just another interested amateur

#6 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, great article.  Thanks.

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,634 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

When I bought my Remington 513-T It looked like there was no rifling in the barrel. Run a brush or jag through it and it would twist, so I knew it was there. Then when I shot it, no problem... the bullet must be spinning or it wouldn't shoot that good. As many of you know that have read my posts in the past, this gun was NOS when I bought it a good 20 years after manufacturing ended on this model... package deal on 2-513-Ts and a 521-T, all NOS.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#8 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,345 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Great article jaia..Worthy of bookmarking for sure..Once again our great members help us all to learn and become better informed shooters..Thanks so much...Dave :tumbs:

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users