• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

The range I shoot at has a requirement to buy ammo from them (there is a good reason for this that is no germane to this post)  Anyway, the .22lr they have is CCI Mini Mag and it is copper washed.  My question is whether  there is any special cleaning I should be doing on the guns using this ammo?

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Shootin' and fine automobiles, and of course, my family!!!!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

The range I shoot at has a requirement to buy ammo from them (there is a good reason for this that is no germane to this post)  Anyway, the .22lr they have is CCI Mini Mag and it is copper washed.  My question is whether  there is any special cleaning I should be doing on the guns using this ammo?

Nope, probably need a few fouling shots to 'prep' the bore.

When changing to a different type of ammo, usually the first and second shot will be out of the eventual POI, then it will 'settle' in.

Edited by Pappy, 24 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

Johnny
Teaching a new generation.
Posted Image
O===[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck.

FTFeed or FTFire and FTEject or FTExtract please

#3 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,413 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Noob, the copper washed ammo is really clean ammo and should do you very well..As stated season the bore and then give them a try...How ya coming on your offhand shooting...Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#4 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Noob, the copper washed ammo is really clean ammo and should do you very well..As stated season the bore and then give them a try...How ya coming on your offhand shooting...Dave

Thanks Dave!

Offhand shooting is proving to be exactly as someone described a while back "..like learning to play the tuba, slow and incremental and it's sometimes hard to see progress.." but progress there is, thanks to the online coaching from y'all. ;) ;)

It's true that the copper wash is clean-very clean. I hate to say it but the Win 75 has been so dead accurate that I have been afraid to clean her for the last 450 rounds! I think I will swab her out tomorrow as I can't shoot for a week and don't want her dirty for that long.

#5 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have cleaned some of my rifles with copper solvent like I do centerfires and the patches do turn green, so they are taking copper out of the barrel. What I would suggest, is clean it well with regular bore solvent, dry it and then use some copper solvent and see how they come out... bet you get some green.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#6 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

... bet you get some green.

I recently had a bore scope on loan from a friend.  I looked inside every barrel I own plus a few I didn't own.  The barrel of my CZ American had some orange build up in the chamber.  I thought it was rust at first but then I noticed it became kind of shiny as I tried to remove it.  Then I remember the last time I shot the rifle the ammo I used was some old Winchester copper washed HV ammo I had.  I got the box of ammo out and the color of the copper wash matched the color of the build up I was seeing in the chamber.

It was tough to remove that copper build-up in the chamber.  I used some copper solvent and a few patches did come out green but the subsequent patches came out white.  I'd check with the borescope and most of the build-up was still there.  I finally used a litte JB Bore Paste on a tight fitting patch and scrubbed the chamber and that did the trick.

I rarely used copper washed ammo but never thought I'd have the problem I did.  I would've never saw the build-up without the aid of the bore scope and I wouldn't be aware of the problem.  I'm not saying I'll never use copper washed ammo again but I think I'll stick with the lubricated lead that I normally use.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

I've never shot copper washed in any of my target rifles, but do occasionally in some others. Only target rifle I don't know for sure if it has ever has some shot in it is the Finnish Lion because I don't know it's full history. If the 541-X had any shot thru it, that would have been taken care of when Voelker set the barrel back and re-chambered, and cut the muzzle end and re-crowned. The guy I bought the 453 CZ from I don't believe shot anything but target or sub-sonic ammo in any of his rimfire rifles for years and in this he only shot Wolf MT and ME and SK Std. Plus.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users