36 replies to this topic

#1 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Here in LA (Lower Arizona) the .22 ammo shortage continues.
I found a shop with a good supply of Remington .22LR Subsonic for $10 per 100 rounds and RWS Rifle Match for $15 for a box of 50.
I really thought we were about over the panic buying - is anyone else having the same trouble?
I'm in a tiny market (Tucson, Az- home of Gabby Gifford and Mark Kelly - they are so NOT 2nd Amendment friendly) so my results may not be typical.
Should I invest in 10 cent-a-pop Remington SubSonics or wait a bit longer?

M

#2 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

invest in a quality 22 cal air rifle (900 fps mv)
pellets are 9 to 20 bucks for a canister of 500.
Same skills needed, same results at target
less noise, less expense, shoot in the back yard or indoors.

Edited by jaia, 14 October 2013 - 08:38 AM.

jaia...just another interested amateur

#3 keith custard

keith custard

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:high power, rimfire sporter, coaching, cooking, volunteering!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

shop got 4000 rounds in on thursday pm and was gone by saturday am. the beat goes on.

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just now came home from my local Wally World, a place I seldom visit, BTW. Needed some 12ga. trap loads and I knew they generally have them. Asked the clerk about .22LR ammo and he said there are a group of guys or their wives that are there every morning and if any came in the latest shipment, they buy it. Had a lot of shotshells and quite a bit of centerfire, but didn't ask to see what calibers they had. Maybe should have checked on some .45ACP, but didn't think to at the time.

Club has their fall fun shoot this weekend in honor of the four members we lost this year, and the season awards. Needed to stock up on some 12 ga. Got 2 of the 4 box Winchester cases, so 200 might get me through the fall shoot and maybe the rest of the regular Monday night trap shoots.... got a few boxes of the B&P left.

Hey, I can do paragraphs today.... WHOOPIE!!!! First time in months!

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#5 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Champions Shooters and Champions Choice have been regularly selling medium and high grade 22 ammo at normal prices.  The local supplier also has 22 ammo, but they add $2 per box to the price and limit the quanity.  So a $5 dollar box of SK Match will run $7 or a $9 box of CenterX $11.

Mark

#6 qtztwn

qtztwn

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

I do not understand the storage of 22LR

Nobody seems to be out using it and there does seem to be

supplies of higher power stuff that you would think people would really be snatching up.

The only thing that would make economic sense to me is that the US manufacturers

are shipping all of their supply overseas because they can get a better price!

But if that is so where are they shipping it?

In the meantime, small game hunting and the shooting sports are being desimated.

#7 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

... or the components are going into high power ammo (brass, lead, & powder).

#8 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

... or the components are going into high power ammo (brass, lead, & powder).

Hmm, patriot..Hadn't thought of that scenario..makes sense and I guess it depends on the profit margins also..Now that deer season is upon us that would make even more sense. Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#9 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Decimated refers to a loss of 1 out of 10.

Devastated refers to wholesale destruction.

Ever since some ignorant broadcast journalist used the wrong word

to describe a scene of major damage after a hurricane, seems like

the rest of the world has decided it's the correct word to use to describe

situations where a great deal of damage has been done. My OCD cringes

whenever the word decimated is used instead of devastated.

Sorry ya'll, just a pet peeve of mine. ^_^

As to the reason for the continuing shortage of 22lr,

I think it's being caused by ammo-scalping. Just like ticket scalping,

a small time entrepreneur gets first shot at the supply

either through inside information or assistance, then offers

the same product at a hefty mark-up to those who are willing to pay.

Sure seems to be plenty available on line at the auction/bid sites

like gunbroker.com. Prices reflect the demand still out there.

Edited by jaia, 20 October 2013 - 08:41 PM.

jaia...just another interested amateur

#10 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

@ the range Saturday I was talking to a guy that owns a couple of gun shops and an indoor range (sells a LOT of ammo). He was out with his son and grandsons burning up a little powder. We got to talking about the shortage and he said he is starting to get some trickling in because the contracts to the government had been filled. His explanation is that until a couple of years ago, each government entity, FBI, Border Patrol, NSA, etc. ordered their own ammunition. Now a central agency orders for everyone and they had no idea how much to order, so they over-ordered, my guess is to cover their ah.... behind. One unexpected consequence, according to him, is several companies have now expanded or built new facilities and soon we will probably be inundated with ammo. Now, he was not talking specifically about rimfire, because I doubt the government uses that much .22LR. Again, and this is my take on it, maybe it was more component manufacturing capacity that caused the rimfire shortage, because the machinery to make rimfire ammo is totally different from centerfire. The ingredients to make primer compound and powder would be the same, as well as the lead and brass.

Patrick Henry

#11 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

The range I use requires ammo to be purchased from them (it  is the sheriff's range and I'm fine with that policy) but they have run out of .22 of any type. A friend in West Virginia was kind enough to sell me a couple of bricks at a very reasonable price but at the rate I'm shooting a couple of bricks goes fast. So, today I spent an hour scouring the internet sites that I have any familiarity with -those being Gunbot and Gunbrokers-for something reasonable.  Out of 800 or so listings on Gunbrokers I did manage to get 2000 rounds at the same cost that I pay at the range. Found another half dozen listings at similar prices BUT that was ,again, out of 800 listings. Gunbot is useless unless you are buying in the 30-40 cents per round area and then it looks like there is a lot available. 

Anyhow, just a report from one of the trenches!! :P

#12 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Glad I took John Connor's advice in 2008 in his article..I think the title was "Lead-Better Than Gold" (American Handgunner ?)...Just need some time to go shooting with my brother..Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#13 qtztwn

qtztwn

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for correcting me on decimated; I typed it all in with too little thought.

Today I went into walmart and there was a fair amount of 30-06 and 223 but no 22LR

If the components are going to these more pricey forms of ammo, then they must

have cut back on 22 production.  Can anyone speak to that?

#14 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

This past Sunday, at a gun show, I saw Wal-Mart Remington golden bullet 550 rd. bulk ammo selling for [sit down] $65.00 a box!

Planeflyr

Corey

"Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality"
-Dustin Hoffman

Those who do not remember the Pasta are condemned to Reheat it.
-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

-wish I knew who to attribute this quote to

#15 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

This past Sunday, at a gun show, I saw Wal-Mart Remington golden bullet 550 rd. bulk ammo selling for [sit down] $65.00 a box!

Planeflyr

Corey

Probably from guys like my local Wal-Mart clerk told me about... see post #4 above.

Patrick Henry

#16 Lame Bear

Lame Bear

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:.22 L.R. shooting - Nascar - Football - Family - Rimfire Shooting site

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

My local Wal Mart has been getting CCI SV in 50 rnd. boxes. They have been  selling for 3.47. I haven't bought any, but I was thinking that's 34.70 a brick. Is this high, low, or about regular. Appreciate leaving the crunch on ammo out of the equation. Retailers going to 50 rnd. boxes only might change the dynamics of the whole situation, especially if they stick to a limit of 3 boxes at a time.

#17 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

My local Wal Mart has been getting CCI SV in 50 rnd. boxes. They have been  selling for 3.47. I haven't bought any, but I was thinking that's 34.70 a brick. Is this high, low, or about regular. Appreciate leaving the crunch on ammo out of the equation. Retailers going to 50 rnd. boxes only might change the dynamics of the whole situation, especially if they stick to a limit of 3 boxes at a time.

LB, that is a fair price...I have in the past stocked up when the price went to 4 1/2 cents or 5 cts per round so at 7cts they are not robbing you and would definetely buy at that price and count my blessings as you only have sales tax and no shipping charges to contend with. That is especially true with the SV round. Go get 'em and smile on the way home...Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#18 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

LB, that is a fair price...I have in the past stocked up when the price went to 4 1/2 cents or 5 cts per round so at 7cts they are not robbing you and would definetely buy at that price and count my blessings as you only have sales tax and no shipping charges to contend with. That is especially true with the SV round. Go get 'em and smile on the way home...Dave

You are sure right about the shipping costs. Have had two orders of 2 and 3 bricks shipped to me from the east and both added over $20 dollars to an $80 and $120 purchase respectively.  Quite a penalty to avoid if you can.  Ammo is heavy!!!

#19 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Before the "crunch", Dick's would on occasion have the CCI Std. Vel. on sale for $25. I think their regular price was $29.95. I bought 5- 50 round boxes at a LGS a while back, think I paid about $5. They did not have any in bricks, only about 12 or 13 boxes total and I probably should have bought them all, but someone else may want to shoot. I think I have about 7 boxes on hand now.

Patrick Henry

#20 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Kalifornia is trying to pass a "no lead" hunting policy. It seem the California Condor is eating hunter's "gut piles" and eating the bullets too (just how many bullets do You use on a deer? Must be a lot of California hunters shooting a lot of animals with a lot of bullets!)

Big state, no lead bullets = more for the rest of us. 

Michael

PS.  Tucson, Arizona politics is no better - we now have "Michigan Left Turns" at major intersections. You don't turn where you want to turn - you go through the intersection, make as U-turn, then fight your way over to the right lane and turn right where you wanted to turn left. (I heard they are planning to make it a true Arizona-Left-Turn by adding a speed bump every 6 feet... I hope not.)

M

#21 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

PS.  Tucson, Arizona politics is no better - we now have "Michigan Left Turns" at major intersections. You don't turn where you want to turn - you go through the intersection, make as U-turn, then fight your way over to the right lane and turn right where you wanted to turn left. (I heard they are planning to make it a true Arizona-Left-Turn by adding a speed bump every 6 feet... I hope not.)

Surely you jest! You don't have "protected" left turn lanes and arrows at major intersections? Even a "backwards" state like Kansas has that.

Patrick Henry

#22 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Lame Bear, that is what i was paying BEFORE the drought. The difference is that if I bought an un-opened brick the price was 29.95.  The explantion was if I bought 10 boxes off the shelf they had to cover the cost of the clerks marking and stocking them.  Makes sense to me.  Of course, there was no "limit" at that time.  And if I paid cash it was a little bit cheaper, no fees from the bank or debit card.  Maybe you can cut a deal with your supplier?

Go up 8 dots on your scope and you can blow out the Fulton score from the scoreboard.

Go Pirates!!!!

MMM 

#23 Lame Bear

Lame Bear

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:.22 L.R. shooting - Nascar - Football - Family - Rimfire Shooting site

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Good to hear from you Dave. I knew you were around somewhere. Thanks for your thoughts, as well as others too.

#24 Lame Bear

Lame Bear

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Lame Bear, that is what i was paying BEFORE the drought. The difference is that if I bought an un-opened brick the price was 29.95.  The explantion was if I bought 10 boxes off the shelf they had to cover the cost of the clerks marking and stocking them.  Makes sense to me.  Of course, there was no "limit" at that time.  And if I paid cash it was a little bit cheaper, no fees from the bank or debit card.  Maybe you can cut a deal with your supplier?

Go up 8 dots on your scope and you can blow out the Fulton score from the scoreboard.

Go Pirates!!!!

MMM 

Thanks for thinking about the ole Pirates; we're still in the hunt. As an old warehouseman, I agree with your logic on stocking cost. I guess I was thinking that only being able to buy 3 ea. 50 rnd. cartons, maybe it wouldn't be as enticing to scalpers. By the way we had a norther blow in yesterday, and it got all the way down to 58 deg.,no wind, and no humidity. Great morning at the range. Take care. L.B.

#25 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

As if extra evidence were needed for the adage 'that timing is everything'.  In the last couple of days I managed to find some acceptably priced .22lr  as a stopgap because my range had completely run out.  They had told me on Sunday that they had 75 cases of .22 on order and that it had been on order since August of last year and they had heard nothing from the supplier for months about it.  Of course today, now in possession of 3000 rounds of my own ammo and ready to ration myself, I went to the range to find out that an hour before my arrival they had received 50-5000 round cases.  Their policy is that you must buy their ammo. But being good guys they said they would work something out with me so I can use my stock!!    Sheesh!!!! :P

#26 Scorpion8

Scorpion8

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Our local WalMart and Fred Meyers get in maybe a few thousand each barge run into SouthEast Alaska, and they sell out as fast as they can unload it.  It never makes the shelves.  Folks start assembling at 0700 on the day after the barge and just gobble it up.  I have a private stash, so I'm doing okay and there's some other stuff available in town "....for the right price".  But any sitting oin the shelves?  Nope.  Odd since .223 has started flowing back in multiple-case lots.  In fact I was able to buy all the .223 I wanted, but .22LR is the new gold standard.

USN Ret
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member

#27 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

As if extra evidence were needed for the adage 'that timing is everything'.  In the last couple of days I managed to find some acceptably priced .22lr  as a stopgap because my range had completely run out.  They had told me on Sunday that they had 75 cases of .22 on order and that it had been on order since August of last year and they had heard nothing from the supplier for months about it.  Of course today, now in possession of 3000 rounds of my own ammo and ready to ration myself, I went to the range to find out that an hour before my arrival they had received 50-5000 round cases.  Their policy is that you must buy their ammo. But being good guys they said they would work something out with me so I can use my stock!!    Sheesh!!!! :P

Noob, how do they handle someone wanting to shoot multiple brands/styles/weights of bullets to test for accuracy? They darn sure can't stock everything under the sun. Once you find that magic combo what are they going to do..stock it JUST FOR YOU? Don't like that rule one darn bit..Dave

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 24 October 2013 - 06:40 AM.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#28 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Good to hear from you Dave. I knew you were around somewhere. Thanks for your thoughts, as well as others too.

LB, I have probably asked you this before and forgotten..Whereabouts are you on the Texas coast.? Dave

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 24 October 2013 - 06:45 AM.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#29 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Noob, how do they handle someone wanting to shoot multiple brands/styles/weights of bullets to test for accuracy? They darn sure can't stock everything under the sun. Once you find that magic combo what are they going to do..stock it JUST FOR YOU? Don't like that rule one darn bit..Dave

They do not accommodate that. The facility is run by the Sheriff of Clackamas County and it provides me with a year-round 25 yard range and it is clean and well managed and the staff and users are all that you could want in terms of safety and friendliness. By contrast the commercial ranges here are 10 yard ranges, require you to buy their ammo also and seem to be run by business people whose main interest is generating cash by whatever gun related products and services they can offer. That makes for a very uncomfortable experience at the range itself which seems almost like an afterthought. Those places seem to attract just enough of the yahoo component of the gun community to make you think twice about not looking over your shoulder all the time. Getting swept with a loaded piece is not unheard of. :o

Long winded way of saying that you are right about the ammo supply and I don't like it either, but I do like everything else and the alternatives stink.  In any case the ammo they supply actually is pretty good out of my guns so far.  I'm shooting exclusively offhand at 25 yards so my lack of ability more than swamps out any marginal differences in the ammo.   There may be other facilities around but the ones I have looked into are either too far away or outdoors or both. My goal right now is to just shoot often and on a consistent schedule until I get good enough (fat chance) to need a longer range or better ammo.

#30 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Rim.... is there any way you can convince them to allow testing for the right rimfire ammo for your rifles? I assume they are unaware of how particular some rifles can be. Maybe if the range officer(s) were aware of this, they could change their policy to accommodate people hat are after accuracy instead of just burning up powder just for the sake of doing it. I can't imagine they are selling just for the profit. If they are, maybe they would accept whatever the percentage of profit is if it had been purchased there.

Patrick Henry

#31 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Rim.... is there any way you can convince them to allow testing for the right rimfire ammo for your rifles? I assume they are unaware of how particular some rifles can be. Maybe if the range officer(s) were aware of this, they could change their policy to accommodate people hat are after accuracy instead of just burning up powder just for the sake of doing it. I can't imagine they are selling just for the profit. If they are, maybe they would accept whatever the percentage of profit is if it had been purchased there.

I'm not sure they would consider that part of their 'mission'. The range is a truly 'public' facility run as part of the Public Training Safety Center which really means the range is primarily for the training and practice of police officers.  They also provide for training of folks who want to own handguns for home or concealed carry use. So their main emphasis is on that kind of thing.  I am one of very few rifle shooters there who are not active police officers.  Actually it works more than adequately for me; as I said I'm not a good enough shot to be able tell the difference in ammo when shooting offhand at 25 yards. I only shoot off the bench and bags when zeroing or confirming zero on a gun.   The CCI Mini-Mags  they sell are their mainstay because they cycle semi-auto actions well.  That ammo is actually pretty accurate out of my better guns, especially the Win75-I have shot 5 shot groups of about 3/8" off front sandbag and no rear support and with iron sights at 25 yards with it.  Any more accuracy than that in my offhand shooting would be merely academic to me.

#32 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Rim, this isn't about the ammo, but about your next to last sentence concerning "no rear support". 

I put in an info req in the air rifle section about shooting off bags.  Both jaia and Raven told me that they shoot with no rear support either. I WAS shooting with rear support.  And now you say you don't use rear either.  One more reason to change my hold.

Ain't it great to have all this inter-connected knowledge in one spot?

Please go hoist one for me at McMinimens.

MMM

#33 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Rim, this isn't about the ammo, but about your next to last sentence concerning "no rear support". 

I put in an info req in the air rifle section about shooting off bags.  Both jaia and Raven told me that they shoot with no rear support either. I WAS shooting with rear support.  And now you say you don't use rear either.  One more reason to change my hold.

Ain't it great to have all this inter-connected knowledge in one spot?

Please go hoist one for me at McMinimens.

MMM

Well, my lack of rear support (I refer to the rifle's rear not my own) is because I'm just shooting off the little shelf between the partitions at the range. It is only 16" deep and holds the front  sandbags fine but back at the buttstock there is just air so I have to  do the best I can holding up the back. It's sort of half offhand and half bench-it does not feel real good but actually helps me with the offhand shooting a little on trigger movement practice.  A couple of rifles seem to be so accurate at 25 yds that if they were in a proper bench setup and with a scope things would get real boring real fast.

#34 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Well, my lack of rear support (I refer to the rifle's rear not my own) is because I'm just shooting off the little shelf between the partitions at the range. It is only 16" deep and holds the front  sandbags fine but back at the buttstock there is just air so I have to  do the best I can holding up the back. It's sort of half offhand and half bench-it does not feel real good but actually helps me with the offhand shooting a little on trigger movement practice.  A couple of rifles seem to be so accurate at 25 yds that if they were in a proper bench setup and with a scope things would get real boring real fast.

Know what you mean about no rear support..Our family range has a pistol shelf about 4 feet tall at 22yds and like you say only about 16' wide and 12 feet long since it was designed for pistol only practice with just enough space to hold your guns and ammo while you walk down range..I have built a portable rifle shooting bench that I left there for any of the kinfolk to use so it's a simple matter to load it onto the back of the golf cart and move it back to the 100, 200, and 300, or even 500 yard markers.. Thank god for golf carts at my age. Noob, since their motive seems to be profit what about paying them a buck to shoot 50 rds of your own..Reckon they would go for that?  Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#35 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Know what you mean about no rear support..Our family range has a pistol shelf about 4 feet tall at 22yds and like you say only about 16' wide and 12 feet long since it was designed for pistol only practice with just enough space to hold your guns and ammo while you walk down range..I have built a portable rifle shooting bench that I left there for any of the kinfolk to use so it's a simple matter to load it onto the back of the golf cart and move it back to the 100, 200, and 300, or even 500 yard markers.. Thank god for golf carts at my age. Noob, since their motive seems to be profit what about paying them a buck to shoot 50 rds of your own..Reckon they would go for that?  Dave

I'm not entirely sure that profit is the motive.  During the height of the shortage, when they couldn't get any ammo for blood or money, they allowed a bring your own policy with a range charge of $9 irrespective of the number rounds shot. My last two trips I actually did shoot my own because they were out of .22lr and they did not charge me anything.  The folks that run the facility are really first rate and the facility itself is so much better than any alternative that I know about that, frankly, I'm happy to go along with whatever their policies are.

#36 qtztwn

qtztwn

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

A year ago August I could go into one gun store and find on shelf bricks of Federal 710 and Federal 510 with no restrictions. At another store I could find CCI-velocitor and CCI-SGB.  This year they had nothing on the shelf.  One of the stores had not seen any 22LR for over a year.  In fact they considered 22LR so scarce they refer to it as the "mythical 22LR".

#37 blbolin

blbolin

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:I have been collecting and shooting .22 sporters since the early 1960's along with other rimfire and centerfire guns.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Last summer I was finally able to buy .22s just about everywhere and I though that this ammo shortage was coming to a end and now this fall, the .22s are as scarce as they were last winter again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users