• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have been shooting CCI Mini Max exclusively for the last couple of months because the range I use requires that ammo be purchased from them and that is all they have in .22LR. The question is this-is the copper washing on these bullets in anyway detrimental to the rifle bore? They are certainly clean; just ran patches through my Win 75 which has seen 600 rounds through it and there was almost nothing to clean out. Just wondering if this cleanliness has a down side. :glare:

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,645 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

If I were cleaning after shooting copper washed, and I haven't shot any for some time in a target rifle, I would try a copper solvent.... same as I use in centerfires. No problem with a rifle being clean, except some shoot better after several rounds. The higher quality barrel you have, and the 75 should be better than many, the better it is shooting clean. In a barrel that the machining may not be as smooth, what happens is the lead or copper fill in the "rough spots" and make it smoother, so they shoot better "dirty" or fouled. You can see this when shooting after cleaning... a real good barrel will shoot it's best very quickly after cleaning, maybe 5 to 7 rounds, and this is mainly to distribute the bullet lube through the barrel, where a lesser barrel may not shoot it's best until 20 or 25 are shot through it. Lube is there after the same 5 to 7 rounds, but the rest is needing to fill in machining marks. These rifles are the ones that are best not completely cleaned after every outing.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

If I were cleaning after shooting copper washed, and I haven't shot any for some time in a target rifle, I would try a copper solvent.... same as I use in centerfires. No problem with a rifle being clean, except some shoot better after several rounds. The higher quality barrel you have, and the 75 should be better than many, the better it is shooting clean. In a barrel that the machining may not be as smooth, what happens is the lead or copper fill in the "rough spots" and make it smoother, so they shoot better "dirty" or fouled. You can see this when shooting after cleaning... a real good barrel will shoot it's best very quickly after cleaning, maybe 5 to 7 rounds, and this is mainly to distribute the bullet lube through the barrel, where a lesser barrel may not shoot it's best until 20 or 25 are shot through it. Lube is there after the same 5 to 7 rounds, but the rest is needing to fill in machining marks. These rifles are the ones that are best not completely cleaned after every outing.

That all makes a lot of sense and, in fact, the 75 clean is dead accurate after the first couple of rounds-even with less than good ammo. I was also wondering if the copper harms the barrel bore. Is it more abrasive than the raw lead bullets? It is not unusual for me put 1000 rounds a month through a single gun so wear and tear is on my mind.

#4 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

As far as I know, all 22 rimfire ammo, whether copper washed or lead, have a light coating of wax. Otherwise either would leave a mess inside the barrel.

Some good reading on the subject here....

http://www.rrdvegas....e-cleaning.html

It's kind of an ongoing essay and the author's been adding info as time permits.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#5 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

As far as I know, all 22 rimfire ammo, whether copper washed or lead, have a light coating of wax. Otherwise either would leave a mess inside the barrel.

Some good reading on the subject here....

http://www.rrdvegas....e-cleaning.html

It's kind of an ongoing essay and the author's been adding info as time permits.

Great article. I'm probably his target audience because I already believe in cleaning the guns after every range session. Really liked all the photos and his testing on the steel block-gives some substance to what has just been words to me so far.

#6 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Great article. I'm probably his target audience because I already believe in cleaning the guns after every range session. Really liked all the photos and his testing on the steel block-gives some substance to what has just been words to me so far.

Yeah, it is an interesting article. I have a borescope on loan from a friend right now and I've actually been able to see what he's showing in the bore pictures. The only thing I don't see much of is the dreaded carbon/lead/black ring. I've only actually witnessed that in a couple barrels out of a dozen or so barrels that I've looked at so far. One thing that really amazed me is how rough some of these barrels are even though they look "shiny and bright" when viewed with the naked eye. I plan to do a thread soon about what I've been seeing.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#7 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, it is an interesting article. I have a borescope on loan from a friend right now and I've actually been able to see what he's showing in the bore pictures. The only thing I don't see much of is the dreaded carbon/lead/black ring. I've only actually witnessed that in a couple barrels out of a dozen or so barrels that I've looked at so far. One thing that really amazed me is how rough some of these barrels are even though they look "shiny and bright" when viewed with the naked eye. I plan to do a thread soon about what I've been seeing.

Looking forward to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users