13 replies to this topic

#1 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I know the current shortages are making it difficult to find .22 ammo. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the hew Winchester 42gr subsonic round - it is sold out everywhere, so someone is buying it. I know they've had it in Australia for a couple of years and it looks like it will finally come the the US.

Anyone tried it yet?

Edited by snaketail, 23 May 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

First I've heard about it. Looks interesting.

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#3 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I know the current shortages are making it difficult to find .22 ammo. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the hew Winchester 42gr subsonic round - it is sold out everywhere, so someone is buying it. I know they've had it in Australia for a couple of years and it looks like it will finally come the the US.

Anyone tried it yet?

I shoot CCI .22Quiet which is a 40 gr. and only 850fps and it is incredibly accurate out to 25 yards. At 42 gr. and subsonic I would have high expectations for this one. Thanks for posting this. One more ammo that I can't buy!!! :P

#4 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hey, its a "Trial Pack" maybe Winchester is going give some away? I think we'd make a good test group for the new stuff.

Michael

#5 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

A test group for testing grouping. Yeah, I kin dig it. Another one that you should try if it ever shows up again is their truncated cone hollowpoint. 40 gr., 1085 fps. When you look at the end of it the hole is so big you think a train is going to come out of that tunnel. Totally devastating on small game. When it first appeared a couple of years ago they had a problem with rupturing where the rim meets the case. They pulled it from the market and issued an AD note. Never found out if it was too much powder, or wrong powder. Fortunately, mine wasn't in the affected lot numbers. It came back on the market, then TSHTF. Sure hope it comes back some day, I'm down to 100 rounds. Happy shooting. MMM

#6 moto vita

moto vita

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

A test group for testing grouping. Yeah, I kin dig it. Another one that you should try if it ever shows up again is their truncated cone hollowpoint. 40 gr., 1085 fps. When you look at the end of it the hole is so big you think a train is going to come out of that tunnel. Totally devastating on small game. When it first appeared a couple of years ago they had a problem with rupturing where the rim meets the case. They pulled it from the market and issued an AD note. Never found out if it was too much powder, or wrong powder. Fortunately, mine wasn't in the affected lot numbers. It came back on the market, then TSHTF. Sure hope it comes back some day, I'm down to 100 rounds. Happy shooting. MMM

What's an "AD note"?
Do you have any info on the problem ammo like lot #s or a link?

#7 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

What's an "AD note"?
Do you have any info on the problem ammo like lot #s or a link?

An AD note is an Airworthiness Directive that is issued to correct a problem with an aircraft. I used it out of context because Snaketail is a pilot. It really has nothing to do with ammo per se. The recalled lot numbers were posted on the Winchester home page. Sorry about the confusion. Have you shot any of the truncated cone stuff?

#8 moto vita

moto vita

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

An AD note is an Airworthiness Directive that is issued to correct a problem with an aircraft. I used it out of context because Snaketail is a pilot. It really has nothing to do with ammo per se. The recalled lot numbers were posted on the Winchester home page. Sorry about the confusion. Have you shot any of the truncated cone stuff?

Yes, I like it a lot. I've got about a half case of it I'd like to check the lot #s of (even though I've not had any problems), but I can't find the info on their website. I looked through their press releases back to 2008.

#9 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Got a report on the Win 42Max from Australia. The Marlin and Winchester lever guns don't like 'em so much. I suspect it has something to do with the length of the boolit... if its 42gr and hollowpoint it has to be longer for the extra weight.
The good new is - I won a box of Blazer .22 ammo at this weekend's Cowboy Silhouette match. The director said he got a delivery from Midway. Could mean that things are slowly getting back to normal - we might actually have the 42Max later this year.

Now- if we could do something about the economy...

#10 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

The good new is - I won a box of Blazer .22 ammo at this weekend's Cowboy Silhouette match. The director said he got a delivery from Midway. Could mean that things are slowly getting back to normal - we might actually have the 42Max later this year.

Now- if we could do something about the economy...

;) :tumbs:
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#11 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,277 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Snaketail, I sincerely hope you meant a BRICK (500 rds) of Blazer ammo and not a 50 round box...Dave :rolleyes: --Fix the economy, it's super easy..quit paying people to NOT work..

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 27 May 2013 - 08:22 PM.

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#12 Dust

Dust

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:guns, cars, bikes.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Can't even find the old hollow point stuff

#13 snaketail

snaketail

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

It was a 50 round box, but they fed us lunch.
I'm in a small market and we tend to get ammo after the big cities. Last weekend I noticed that there was Federal Auto Match on the shelves and that Bass Pro has a good selection of rimfire. A local boolit caster I buy from has power and primers. I'm encouraged.
AND, I have a job offer and another interview later this morning. Probably want me to work weekend- but it is a small improvement.

Michael

Late Note:
Beginning in July I will go to work in the Forensics Lab of the Pima County Sheriff's Department. And, no - it isn't anything like the TV show.

Edited by snaketail, 04 June 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#14 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,444 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

After trap shooting this AM, I tried some .22 shooting. Shot CCI Std. Vel. because I figure that's what I'll shoot in our Hunter/Sporter class where we are not allowed any target ammo, I also had a new box of some Winchester subsonic HP, but not this type of box. It would group 4 together and 1 high flyer for each of the 3 groups I shot. The 4 in a group were an inch low from the CCI which I had sighted at 50 yards, but the one flyer was in the 10 ring for the CCI sight in. I'm thinking the wind, which was at 12 o'clock and 20-25mph was messin' with me. The 4 in a group were not great, maybe 3/4", but probably good enough for squirrels. I was shooting my 513-SA with a Weaver T-6AO, because with the new 8 1/2# rule, it's now legal. May sell my CZ 453 American If I get this to shooting as good as I remember, but didn't learn that much with the wind twitching around today. Wind didn't help with the trap either :blink: !
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users